Is BMI a dependable airline?

Jan 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Is BMI a dependable airline?

Need to fly from London to Dublin and am seeing some good rates on BMI. Is it a dependable airline? Thanks!
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Yep - a very good airline both for service and reliability.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM

We flew BMI from London to Paris without any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Tracy
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I use them all the time - to Dublin at least 3 times per year. Service is very friendly and they are reliable.
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I recently flew BMI from London to Venice and there were no problems whatsoever. I would definitely fly with them again.
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM

You can take a look at airline reliability stats here:
http://tinyurl.com/yzqxta

Based on the stats for November-December 2006, you have about a 2%chance of a cancelled flight, and about a 73% chance of an online arrival, with an average delay of approximately 27 minutes if there is one. However, I think BMI would reschedule you to other flights (probably), and it wouldn't likely be the same mess that it would be if Ryanair were to cancel a flight. Also, these stats might be unfair if they include the several days of fog around Heathrow.

That said, I have flown BMI and would happily do so again.
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM

From personal experience, I'd place them above any other London-Dublin carrier. Above all, they've got decent staff, whereas BA's are in an awful state for numerous reasons, and their service is suffering.
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:42 PM

bmi is a Star Alliance partner of United, Lufthansa, etc. Our experience with bmi, albeit a couple of years ago, was just fine--actually beyond expectations given a flight delay/missed connection that was beyond its control (emergency runway repair at O'Hare of all things...). I would fly with bmi again.
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. I had resolved to always check on airlines I had never heard of after having two flights cancelled on a previous trip. You are all a great help!
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I use them all the time, both for business & pleasure. They are the second biggest full service airline in the UK and I prefer them to BA and Aer Linus (and I wouldn't fly Ryanair).

Yes, if a flight is cancelled (which has only happened to me once) they will rebook you on the next available flight with whichever airline has a seat - and the same for any onward connection if needed.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Just to endorse what everyone else has said, I would choose BMI over any airline on the same route. Consistently good service, clean modern planes, even the food's not bad. And you can often get a 'budget airline' deal even though they're a full service airline.

Some of the flag flying airlines could learn a thing or two from them.