IS BERGAMO WORTH A DAY?

Search

IS BERGAMO WORTH A DAY?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS BERGAMO WORTH A DAY?

We are flying from a Milan a.p. near Bergamo. Should we spend a night there, and can anyone recommend a nice hotel? Thanks, Pat & Julie
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Pat & Julie,

Is Bergamo worth a day? In a word, definitely.

For more info here's a link to my trip report of a couple of years ago - it's mostly about Lake Como but if you scroll down you'll find a section on Bergamo;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34598121

Hope this helps,

Jim
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
DAX

Bergamo has a great walled ancient hilltop city called Citta Alta. There is a good hotel inside the Citta Alta itself but somewhat expensive. If you're looking for the best deal, stay in the lower downtown at the Mercure 4 star. www.mercure.com
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM
PJK

Bergamo is great, but I think the decision about whether or not to spend a night there depends on how much time you have in general. We stayed at the hotel in Citta Alta. The rooms were small, even by European standards. Although it claimed to be air-conditioned, the room was miserably hot. I would definitely recommend seeing Citta Alta, but agree with DAX that staying there is not a must. In fact, spending four or five hours there would have been plenty for me. But the time of year might make a difference. The tour buses were not an issue when we were there. If Citta is full of tour buses in the middle of the day, then staying overnight would probably be worth it. Happy travels. PJK
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM

We stopped to visit the old town of Bergamo on the way to Bellagio. We had a nice stroll and a wonderful lunch at Agnello D'Oro Hotel. The owner let us peek upstairs at a few rooms which were atmospheric and charming. If we didn't need to get to Bellagio that day, we would have happily spent the night. I'd love to go back sometime just to spend a night in that hotel.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
DAX

Actually Bergamo has a completely different feel at night especially with the weekend crowd so you may enjoy going there during the day and then return in the evening. It's almost better at night if it's on a holiday or weekend. The view is of course better enjoyed during the day. Not sure PJK stayed in the old hotel or the newer one. I can't remember the hotel names.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A day in Bergamo is worth it unless raining in which case I would stay in Milan
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We'll definitely stay overnite. DAX, can you tell us the name of the hotel in Citte Alta upper area? We're celebrating our Mom's life (we lost her in
November) and are staying in upscale places throughout our trip. P & J
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM
DRJ

You might google Hotel Gourmet. Its in the old, upper town.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! kp
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
DAX

No it's not Il Gourmet. The hotel is an old religious building that was recently converted to a boutique hotel. Unfortunately I can't remember the name at this time, hopefully somebody else can help you with the name. FYI, none of the hotels in Bergamo is going to be a 5 star, so the Mercure 4 star is actually one of the better hotels in the citta bassa. It was an old palace (Palazzo Dolci) that's converted into a new Mercure.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Heard back from Il Gourmet. They are booked. I tried the Agnello d'oro, but my e-mail was returned, can anyone help? Thanks for all suggestions. I just made our Rome and Florence reservations. Pat & Julie