Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Bath a good choice as a base for day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a friend who would like to spend 3 nights outside of London and see Bath, Stratford-on-Avon, Cotswolds and possibly Warwich castle. She won't have a car and will need to take bus tours. Would Bath be a good location for her to stay for the 3 nights and if so, does anyone have recommendations of day trip companies?

She would take the train to Bath from London.

I've found a few tour companies that can be taken from Bath, but they mainly seem to go to Stonehenge and Wales...she's already been to those.

Thanks for your help,

Margy
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Bath is a good base for seeing Bath and maybe Salisbury/Stonehenge. Wells/Glastonbury is not far - but not that efficient by public transport.

Bath would not be a good base for seeing Stratford/Warwick.

While I usually recommend staying in one place and using it as a base. When one is relying on public transport it makes things more difficult. You can't go where you want when you want.

So in your Friend's situation - I'd stay in Bath 2 days/nights. Spend one day exploring Bath and on the other day take a day coach tour of the Cotswolds. Then take the train to Stratford and stay overnight there. Spend that afternoon and the next day exploring Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick and then in the evening take the train back to London.

(the other option would be 1 day/night in Bath, and 2 days/nights in Stratford, taking a day tour of the Cotswolds from there, but I think more day trips are offered out of Bath)
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

There is a great series out by a guy named Earl Steinbakker(I think thats how you spell his name) called: DAYTRIPS FROM LONDON.It usually includes 20-30 different daytrips to chose from. He also has others from other big cities of Europe. It is a great book that gives you the total information on how to get to places like Bath, Windsor,Stratford,etc. with bus,train info along with what to see and maps of the little towns. Our family has used these books for years and think that it provides great information for everyone.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, I'll pass it on!

Margy
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:23 AM

Hi Margy - For Cotswolds trips from Bath try Mad Max:

http://www.bath.co.uk/madmax/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:49 AM

The paper here last week reported the results of a survey into UK hotel prices abd Bath was number 1. But if she can afford it, good for her - it will be nice. (London was number 2 & edinburgh was number 3.)