Is Barcelona romantic?

Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
AllyPally

Is Barcelona romantic?

I am planning a romantic trip to Spain and was wondering what you all thought of Barcelona as a destination? thanks!

Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM

Depends what you condider romantic. Generally, Sevilla is a very sensual city with the Flamenco music and dancing, grand arab-influenced palace, and massive cathedral. Sevilla is a bit grittier than Barcelona though, I thought. I loved, loved, loved Barcelona. Many buildings have an art nouveau, belle epoque feel that evokes Paris, other buildings are in the very unique and very interesting style of Gaudi. The Passeg de Gracia is a beautiful tree-lined boulevard with many places to have tapas and enjoy your company. The Parc Guell offers tremendous views over the city. I did not find Madrid romatic at all.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:08 AM

I think Barcelona is wonderfully romantic, but of course any place can be romantic with the right partner and the prettiest places are just hollow if you're lonely.

Enough pseudo-poetry (I sound like a bad pop song). Barcelona has some views that are just spectacular because it is situated among steep hills over the Mediterranean. Certain neighborhoods are lovely and old, or lovely and new (parts of the Eixample). The Barrio Gotico is as "romantic" as any similarly medieval part of any city. The Ramblas will look a bit Parisian to you, although you need to be very very alert not to be ripped off by pickpockets and pursesnatchers -- but you are lots less vulnerable just by getting off the Ramblas themselves.

If you take your "paramour" to a "parador" (sorry, now I'm rhyming!), it is certain to be romantic, but you can also get up to Montserrat and get a commanding view.

I'm not objective about Barcelona, however, because of the dozen or so cities I know in Europe, it is far and away my favorite. I think it's fantastic. One last suggestion: try to time it for late spring -- end of May or early June -- for the flowers and the warmth (and avoid the summer crowds -- if there are any this year).
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:20 AM
AllyPally

Thanks so much - i've heard some mixed views about Barcelona and I just wanted to check!!

Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:40 AM

I think so, too - wonderfully. The beautiful Gaudi houses, the vibrant backstreets, the large, grand main streets.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
gordiemonster

I find Barcelona hugely inferior to Sevilla in the romance department--you can read my opinion of Sevilla on the "where to honeymoon in Spain post". They are very distinct cities, and I agree that romance can be relative to your company or your mood, but that aside I think most people would agree that Sevilla is far more romantic.

Apr 7th, 2003, 01:22 AM
AllyPally

Thanks Gordiemonster! I have just read your posting on the honeymoon page, copied it into my notes and now I'm going!!! I will definitely check out Barcelona but you have sold me on Sevilla. And I agree with you about heat, albeit for a different reason! I'm from Montreal and I ADORE heat. I always ignore anyone who tells me that such and such is too hot to visit in summer. I visited Rome in 35C and thrived in it. Gave me an excuse to dip into all the cool churches and cathedrals!

Apr 7th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Cassandra

Whoa! Hey, go where you want, AllyPally, but I've been to both and see no comparison - well, not "no" comparison, but Seville is so much smaller, and once you've done the cathedral and the palace and palace gardens, it's mostly just wandering. It doesn't have the beautiful vistas over the sea, the glorious hills and wonderful mix of old and new, beautiful neighborhoods. It has both and old and a new (rapidly getting older) cathedral plus all kinds of other things to do and see and a very cosmopolitan mix of lovely restaurants. Remember that Barcelona has an almost mysterious mix of cultures, Basque, Spanish, French, and a dash of you-guess. If you only have one day, sure, go to Sevilla, and if by romantic you mean you're going to spend a lot of time in your hotel room, then Sevilla might be all you need. But to me, Barcelona wins hands-down.

Apr 9th, 2003, 12:46 PM

I just returned from Barcelona, Sevilla, and Madrid. Sevilla is so incedibly beautiful and it just oozes romance! Beautiful parks, flowers, fountains, birds, wonderful places to sit together. It is smaller and much more intimate. The people are also delightful.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Romantic? YES.
It has everything to make it a wonderful place for romance. Its alwasy warm and a litle sultry. The Ramblas are wonderful places for long walks. You can duck into any tapas bar for a quick bite and a sangria. The city is beautiful. Its may wife and my favorite city.
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Haven't been to Seville yet -- and my impression is that it's very romantic -- but I sure found Barcelona to be a romantic, and beautiful, city.