What is your opinion of Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading some old posting and have gathered that the city gets mixed reviews. We will be flying in and out of there next month on our way to a trip that is primarily rural areas to the north and west of the city. I had planned on 4 nights in Barcelona, but now I'm rethinking this. I last visited the place 30 years ago. We've seen a lot of Europe and by this point know what we like, and for the most part it is not big cities unless they are truly unique and beautiful. We like interesting markets, ethnic cultural events and festivals, wandering around interesting neighborhoods, interesting architecture, and general ambience. We aren't shoppers, we are not into nightlife, we don't dine at fancy places, and we aren't interested in just being in another big city with its businesses and shops or attempts to be trendy. Also, we're middle-aged rather than young and hip. Knowing this, how long would you suggest we spend in Barcelona on a 15 night trip when we plan to focus primarily on more non-touristy outdoor type activities? Thanks for the comments.

ps. By the way when we visited Andalucia several years ago we decided not to spend any time in Madrid even though that was the airport we were using because I's read a lot of not so favorable comments about the city. We have no regrets about our decision.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM

I think you can simply ignore the infamous post on this board that contained the words, "Barcelona is a dump." It is anything BUT that (one reason I'm going back again this coming July).

Barcelona "unique"??? Given the Gaudi architecture alone and the wonderful Gothic Quarter..I'd say, yes.

Interesting neighborhoods and architecture...Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell; the gothic cathedral, the Eixample and the Gothic Quarter.

I don't think Barcelona "attempts" to do anything; it simply is what it is; loved by some and not by others.

Hey, if you choose not to go, that's fine but I wouldn't do that solely based on comments on this board, including my own.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:37 PM

PS....I think if you ever GO to Madrid you'll find out why you SHOULD have regretted the decision not to go THERE years ago.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:59 PM

Here's 2¢ worth from another middle-aged person who absolutely loved Barcelona.

Talk about unique! It's an incredibly beautiful city with fascinating architecture. We also had some wonderful unpretentious meals there.

We stayed there for 4 days last year and didn't come close to seeing everything that we wanted to see.

The next time we go back we'd like to stay for at least a week.

We also are crazy about Madrid. (You really should give it a chance.)

That being said, there's no accounting for tastes, and I can't say whether you'll like Barcelona or not. But I suggest that you form your own opinion instead of ruling it out because someone else didn't like it.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:36 AM

ttt
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:46 AM

Barcelona is one of the most vibrant, exciting cities in the world. Gaudi architecture, wide boulevards, lovely harbors, and one of the best markets in the world.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I loved Barcelona for the reasons mentioned by Intrepid1, and I'm going back with my fiance on our honeymoon in May. Of all the cities I've visited, Barcelona is in the top 2 or 3. Think about spending 3-4 nights there (if 4, spend one day going to Montserrat).
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:44 AM

LOVED IT!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM

We were just in Barcelona for 6 days....I'd go back for 6 more...even if I just spent the time looking at Gaudi's creations!!!

www.pbase.com/baileyzim/barcelona

Make sure you have a lunch at the Mercat de la Boqueria...at EL Quim.
What a great scene...terrific food...lots of action!!
(yes, middle-aged action...)

There are wonderful markets....coin...art.....food.............

It's the perfect city to start your trip on the hop-on-off bus....just to get the lay of the land!!

Oh, don't forget the Picasso Museum!!

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM

You want five GOOD reasons to visit Barcelona. I found where "someone" listed them right in the original post. LOL

"We like interesting markets, ethnic cultural events and festivals, wandering around interesting neighborhoods, interesting architecture, and general ambience."

What a perfect description of Barcelona.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I agree with Patrick, that line in your post describes Barcelona fairly accurately. It's a GREAT city, as festive and alive as any in Europe, with a fantiastic market _ La Boqueria - enough festivals for five or six cities, and great sectors for wandering - Barri Gotic, the Ramblas, Eixample.
There's a poster who shall remain nameless who for whatever reason engages in constant attacks on Barcelona. Ignore him (or her or it), Barcelona is a treat.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:03 AM

At this point i would be very interested in what it is you have read, or heard, that was especially off-putting about the city.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Often in summer , I find the heat, the exhausts and the brilliant sun give the air a rather acrid and polluted quality, especially when there is no breeze.

Also the threat of pickpocketin is very very high on Rambla etc. I have made more than one trip to the police station off Rambla to report expert hits on friends...not a good feeling to lose your cash and travel docs and it happens repeatedly every single day...in season.

Still it is a cool city, plenty going on. Lot's of buzz. Too bad they are so hung up on forcing Catalan on everyone... Rouss
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:22 AM

love, love, LOOOOOVE it!!!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I rad some old posts on this board referring to the fact that it is just another big city--lots of people, lots of traffic, dirty, noisy etc. Frankly all I can remember from my visit 30 years ago is a big church which I think must have been Sagrada Familia and being amazed at the people strolling down the wide boulevards at midnight with their toddlers and infants wide awake. Does this still occur? One more question while I'm asking. We are thinking of staying in Barceloneta next month. What do you think of that?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I can certainly address the "pickpocket issue" cited above: Barcelona is the only city, anywhere, in which I was ever pickpocketed. It happened on the Metro and not on the Ramblas. Why? because that is the ONE day I was not wearing a money belt...learned my lesson and money belts are a sure way to prevent such activity.

Do I consider Barcelona unsafe? No, I do not. Would I go to the Ramblas..yes, very eagerly.

That "big church" you remember was very likely the gothic cathedral with its huge square and pedestrian activity.

I think you also owe it to yourself to realize that your attitude and outlook and degree of sophistocation/maturity have <b> changed &lt;B/&gt; since you were there 30 years ago...and for the better I am certain.</b>
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:30 PM

I personally liked Madrid much more than Barcelona, but I am glad I went, and you should probably go back since it has been a while.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Hi everybody.
I'm French and I wanted to say that Barcelona is one of the greatest town in the world.
It is unique. Everything is color, and hapiness over there.
I personally spent the best vacation of my life over there.
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Keep in mind that there is relatively little very old architecture in Barcelona. It stands out as a late 19th early 20th century city in terms of architecture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623192954454/
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM

ps. By the way when we visited Andalucia several years ago we decided not to spend any time in Madrid even though that was the airport we were using because I's read a lot of not so favorable comments about the city. We have no regrets about our decision.

I must be getting more chrochety in my old age, but these type of questions annoy me. How the hey can someone decide for you? You do not know the posters their interests, their prejudices, theie style of travel, or the knowledge, one way or another.

Fpr example, Michael is incorrect. The Barri Gotic is considerd one of the important and largest areas of its kind in Euopre. And while it is easy to be mesmoerized by Gaudi and Puig, there all sorts of treasures in Barcelona.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -