Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Air France bus the best way to get from Paris centre to CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to get to CDG from Paris? Where do you catch the Air France bus, or is a taxi the best way to catch a midday flight from Aerogare 1, CDG?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Not much luggage? Then grabbing the RER B-3 line for 7.60 Euros is a little cheaper than the Air France bus and you won't have to make your way to one of their relatively few stops. Just grab and pick up the RER at one of the stations where there is a connection. Another advantage: no traffic jams. When I take the Air France bus, I catch it at the Charles de Gaulle Etoile. (There are several other stops; I just don't happen to use them.) I believe the last time I took the Air France bus it was 10 Euros for a one-way ticket to CDG. Once you start having more than just yourself to consider, a taxi becomes less of a luxury.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I stay at a hotel near the Gare Montparnasse Air France Bus stop, so it's perfect for me. I've also taken the RER to Luxembourg stop. It was fine, but I think I prefer the Air France Bus. The ride is rather enjoyable, and safe. You can always take a taxi to your hotel from Montparnasse or Charles de Gaulle Etoile, whichever is closer. I'm not sure where the bus stop is in relation to Terminal 1, as I usually come in at Terminal 2, and it's close from there.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I've taken it and think it could be considered the best way, if you care about money at all, IF you are within walking distance of a stop. Otherwise, I wouldn't say it was the best way because you'll have to take a cab or something to it. I use the stop at Montparnasse because I stay near there, but there are others. YOu can see about it on the CDG web site www.adp.fr<BR><BR>there is no absolute best way, depends on a lot of things <BR><BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

We will have a large suitcase each - will it be too difficult to catch the RER because of ticket gates and so on?<BR>Thanks !
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:54 AM

If there are two of you with large suitcases either take a taxi or the shuttle.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:35 AM

No-one seems to have mentioned the Roissybus so far, but it is a good alternative to the Air France bus. It's operated by the Paris transport authority RATP, and has the advantage of having much better onboard luggage storage than the Air France bus (so you can keep an eye on your cases rather than stowing them in the baggage hold underneath). I *think* it also has greater passenger capacity. It leaves every 15-20 minutes from Rue Scribe, by the Opera house. The fare is around 8 euros. There's more info (in French) here: http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/roissybus.php
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all! What is the shuttle?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:39 PM

Amanda -<BR><BR>You may want to reconsider the plan for large suitcases. I've traveled for up to 3 weeks in France and Italy with a 22&quot; rollaboard and a tote bag, and manage to look pretty good, if I say so myself. (Hint: lots of black....) I take the RER - no worries about traffic jams. <BR><BR>If your guidebook doesn't address airport transfers, consider a different one! It's in FOdors books and right here on this site, under the &quot;Destinations&quot; section: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=paris@117&amp;cur_sectio n=tra<BR><BR>I like Frommers books; they have very good, specific info re transportation options. Also available on the website: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...062030011.html
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

I still don't know what the &quot; shuttle&quot; is, that everyone keeps mentioning! Is it just the Air France bus that I asked about?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:41 AM

Search for &quot;paris shuttle&quot;. It is a shuttle bus that you call when you arrive and it will pick you up--make reservations, of course. It is about $17 for one and maybe a little break for 2. The total is not that much less than a taxi which is about $40.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:42 AM
Brutforce

You can also book the Paris shuttle in advance rather than trying to get a cab which can sometimes be trying @ best. Just returned week before last &amp; it was 29 Euros for my wife, daughter &amp; I.

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:02 PM

Amanda -<BR><BR>If you click on the link I gave you for Fodors Desinations info and scroll down, it gives you very detailed information re two shuttle companies in Paris. There are others, which you find out about via a text search here for &quot;paris and shuttle.&quot;
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:56 PM

I haven't ever taken the shuttle because I do AF bus or taxi, but shuttles people are referring to are private van services. YOu just don't get your own car, you have to share the van with others, and you won't know the order you are dropped at your hotel. IN Paris, I think you must reserve in advance, also, you can't just walk up at the curb as you can for a taxi, and then you have to call them on arrival to come for you. However, it is door to door, unlike the AF or Roissybus which are large buses. <BR><BR>There are three companies I know of: Parishuttle , Paris Airport Shuttle and Blue Van.