Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is A/C necessary in Rome the first week of October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I (along with several other family members/friends) are going on a three-week trip to Europe this fall. We will be in Rome the first week in October. My mother is concerned that it might still be warm enough to need A/C at night. I didn't think it was necessary that late in the year. Neither of us are particulary hot/cold blooded. I'm in my late 20's, she's in her mid '50s. Neither of us has been to Rome before. I think she's heard from a friend or something that it's still pretty warm at that time of year.<BR><BR>What do you think?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jennie
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:57 AM

of course no one can say for sure about weather, but in 01 first week of October had daytime temps about 80F. I was very grateful for air conditioning when I returned to my hotel.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:16 PM

October can be warm, but it can also be a bit cool in Rome at that time. The average high temp in October is about 75 degrees F. Average low is about 60 degrees. That means on the average, you probably won't need A/C unless you like it really cool. No question that it can be warmer than the average, but that's why it's an average---there will be just as many days that are cooler than average. <BR><BR>Usually the hotels with A/C don't really cost much more than those that have the same quality of rooms but no A/C. I would decide first where in the city I want to stay, second which hotel with A/C and which without A/C I'd like, and third decide on the basis not only of cost but of other factors important to you---such as small and charming versus big and fancy, elevator versus stairs, and so on. If you are really on a tight budget, I think going for a room without A/C isn't a big risk. Good Luck.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Also bear in mind that not all hotels with A/C have individually adjustable control in bedrooms. A/C is often centrally switched on or off, and if the hotelier thinks it's not hot enough to warrant it (it costs them in electricity), they'll switch it off at source. I've found this both in Italy and Spain.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:21 AM
LJ

Alec is correct, unless you were in a VERY high end, luxury hotel, it is very doubtful that the hotelier would have the A/C connected at that time of year even if the guidebook does suggest it is on offer. <BR><BR>Unless you are planning to be in your room at high noon, by evening in October, you won't need A/C unless this is the October to end all Octobers in Rome. The evenings are distinctly cool and very pleasant and those old stone walls cool quickly.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM

At the Santa Chiara, a moderately priced hotel, I had a/c at all hours during the first week in October of 01.<BR>It was not controlled by me. I was very glad to have it.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:23 AM

We were in Rome the first week of October 2002. We did not need air conditioning. The climate seemed temperate. Again, as other folks have suggested the temp can be variable. Given differing temperature needs (you in your 20's and her in her mid 50's) tell your mom I like things cool and I am her age. I didn't feel the need for air conditioning. We simply opened our windows. I think the only issue might be one of noise. We stayed at the top of the Spanish Steps and chose our hotel for relative quiet in Rome. If you stay in a noisier hotel you might find opening the windows at night difficult.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all of your thoughtful replies.<BR><BR>I forwarded her this thread and she's not as concerned about it as she was before. Her friend must have been in Rome about the same time as Elaine because she'd told my mom it was &quot;usualy still in the 80s&quot; in<BR>Rome in October. Once I showed her the avearage highs/lows for that time of year, she felt better.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Jennie
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Personally, I would not even book a hotel in Rome in OCT without A/C---<BR><BR>Need that air conditioning!!! <BR>I live in the South and to me, 80 degress is hot- and Rome can get hot!<BR>We were there the first week of May and the last week of Sept one year- and BOTH times we NEEDED A/C....