Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Umbria and Rome in early October - what to pack?

Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

We are 4 days back from Italy and I am already thinking of our return trip in October. We have spent the last three years visiting in June, so I am wondering what to pack for October which I assume will be cooler weather, especially in Umbria. Can anyone give first hand advice? (Our taxi driver in Rome said it will still be hot in October!)
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM

bring a raincoat and a sweater or blazer - you are likely to experience some rain and a bit of a chill at that time of year. At least that was our experience.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM

Was in Rome and Orvieto environs in mid October a few years ago. Pure Indian summer: bright blue skies, warm days and beautiful, windows=open nights. Don't know what you'll find, of course, but it was perfetto.

Rome is actually in that 42-44 degree latitude area, as are New York, Omaha and Ogden Utah! Pretty temperate, and with palm trees thanks to the Mediterranean no doubt. It will likely be pretty fair weather - their rainy season is later, generally.

But it is autumn, and that's a changeable time. I'd say, expect beautiful mild weather, and take a sweater and maybe a light jacket to layer up when/if you need to.

Wish I were going, too ... will have to wait a year.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM

just checked worldweather.org

Rome's avg temps for October are a low of 53.5 and a high of 71.6. Fairly comfortable on the average. (I do love October ...) The rainfall average is a bit under one centimeter for the month - a bit over an inch. Avg # of days with precip over 1 mm is seven.

So, just about what you expect for October:. Some of JJK's experience and some of mine.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM

correcting myself:

the less than one cm of rain equals about 3/8" average for the month of Oct in Rome.