Search

Is 2 days in Izmir way too short?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 2 days in Izmir way too short?

I'd love any honest feedback on my skeletal Istanbul itinerary:

1. Istanbul 4 nights (arrive in evening at 5:30 pm, Empress Zoe)

2. fly to Cappadocia in afternoon (3 nights at Kelebek hotel)

3. fly to Izmir (2 nights at Kalehan hotel?)

Last day: fly Turkish Air from Izmir (dep 8 am - arrive 9:10 IST)
fly IST-ORD on Turkish Air 11:20 am (thx other celebi for great idea to stick w/ Turkish Air)

This is a bit rushed but we're usually not run around travelers which is why I'd like to keep IST at 4 nights minimum so we can relax a little when we arrive. Unfortunately, that reduces Izmir to 2 nights but Ephesus sounds like a don't miss. Any suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
fishee, looks good. Now, you just have to put some meat on the skeleton.

Depending on your taste, you could also reduce Cappadocia to two nights and increase Selcuk to three. However, your description of yourself means that you prefer a more leisurely approach, in which case do not read the next paragraph.

Two days will be enough for Cappadocia on the surface (plus one underground city and one balloon ride). Three at selcuk will give you chance to visit Herakleia, Priene-Karine, and or Pamukkale-Aphrodisias, all strongly recommended, but possibly with rented car. Easy to drive area with good roads and sufficient signage.

Do not bother with Sirince fruit wines which may actually have been made with artificial aromas.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM

One other thing, also check the smaller Bella hotel, in Selcuk, which i heard had actually expanded by merging with another hotel next door. Their rooms are on the small side but they have a terrific restaurant with very regional food, and just across from the ruins of St. John's basilica.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Oh, and fishee, i am glad you specified "honest feedback" on your post. That made me write totally different things than i would have otherwise written.
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much. Itinerary and hotel recommendations are totally appreciated as the ones I'm finding are coming from me just randomly reading trip reports. We do like smaller hotels with charm and character and a good restaurant is a HUGE bonus. I'll def check out Bella.

Not sure if you're kidding but I do really welcome critical input -- I'd prefer to hear it now rather than realize I've miscalculated while on the trip!
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Also, the only flight I can find Istanbul-Kayeri is at 7:30 pm so unfortunately, we can't arrive in the morning and start exploring which is why I thought 3 nights Cappadocia made sense. Maybe I can take a day away from Istanbul and add it to Selcuk?

Istanbul

Day 1: arrive 6pm-ish, eat dinner, sleep.

Day 2: Blue Mosque, Bazaar

Day 3: Aya Sofya, Topkapi

Day 4: Bosphorus ferry in daytime, catch 7:30 pm flight to Kayseri head to Goreme

Day 5: Cappadocia

Day 6: Cappadocia

Day 7: Fly to Izmir at 9 am (or t7 pm?)

Day 8: Ephesus

Day 9: Herakleia, Priene-Karine,and/or Pamukkale-Aphrodisias

Day 10: Fly IZMIR-IST at 8 am Fly IST-ORD 11:20 am
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Bella hotel looks perfect - can we base there for the whole 3 nights?
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Also, anyone have thoughts on Aydinli hotel over Kelebek in Goreme?

http://www.thecavehotel.com/

http://www.kelebekhotel.com/rooms.php
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM

i would take a day from C and also do the day in ephesus.. i would not cut from I---in fact i would try to see if i could extend a day
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

rhk -- well I won't arrive in Kayseri til evening so if I do 2 nights, that would only leave me 1 full day in Cappadocia as I'd have to leave in the morning for the flight to Izmir. Do you think 1 full (non-travel) day is enough for C? Initially, the balloon thing sounded kinda goofy to me but alot of people are saying it's one of the coolest things they've experienced so I'm on the fence about that one. Your feedback is appreciated!
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM

I have not been to cappadocia for quite a few years.

All the former travelers to the area have good feedback on hotels they have stayed.

I would just look at the profiles of those who gave some information on who they are and decide on the basis of that. I find that i usually cannot accept the recommendations of people about whom i have no information.

By the way, please do not mind if sometimes i kid a little or use irony. I always try to give valid and up-to-date information and on personal experience (otherwise i will state that i heard or read about it)
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM

regarding your days in Istanbul, Blue mosque, Basilica cistern and Aya Sofya are very close to eaach other and you can do all that easily in one day, maybe even including the Bazaar.

You probably should take a short Bosphorus cruise (possibly Turyol) on your last day and include the Spice bazaar and lunch at Hamdi Restaurant in Eminonu that day.

Make sure you get to Istiklal street at least one of your nights in Istanbul. And if you have the energy and the desire to see the hoi polloi, a late night visit to the Nisantasi-Tesvikiye area will give the chance of seeing how the rich and the nouveau riche of Istanbul live.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

rhk -- cld you elaborate on reasons for staying in IST for 4 nights? Right now, I'm thinking of IST for nights, Cap 3 nights,

Celebi -- I ate at the beautiful Hamdi last time, is there an excellent seafood restaurant you'd recommend? upscale or dive doesn't matter but exceptionally great preparation of fresh fish would be wonderful. Also, can we base at Bella for out entire 3 nights for Izmir leg of our trip or that would make an early morning flight out to IST difficult?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM

Bella should be fine. i do not know of any hotels near izmir airport.

We ate at "Fish' at Suada the only island on the Bosphorus, Friday night. The view was excellent and the fish (seabass) was grilled very nicely. The price is not cheap but a white DLC Narince wine, possibly the cheapest at 65TL was excellent with the fish. They also have the seabass covered in a block of salt and baked (for two). the table next to ours had that and liked it also. The starters were alright with the grilled calamari the best.

Another good option is Doga Balik at Cihangir where the cook is also the owner and is excellent but possibly somewhat spoiled because of his fame.

you need reservations at both to get tables with view.

A third option is Sardunya near the cruise ships at Findikli, on the ground floor of the Marine Chamber of Commerce.

Finally, we love Aleko/Deniz Ati at yenikoy but that is rather far.

By the way, we took the ido water taxi from kabatas to Suada paid 72+8 Tip but it was worth it to beat the traffic, and watch the view. Took all of 10 minutes.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

>>Make sure you get to Istiklal street at least one of your nights in Istanbul.<<

If you do make it to Istikalal Street, keep a lookout for a very entertaining and engaging young man working at the ice-cream stand. I saw a video of him on line last month and then I saw him in person when I was in Istanbul two weeks ago entertained a child and some young ladies that ordered ice-cream from him. I think he's well-known among tourists as there seem to be tourists that wanted pictures of him and with him also.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:32 PM

fishee wrote >>Initially, the balloon thing sounded kinda goofy to me but alot of people are saying it's one of the coolest things they've experienced so I'm on the fence about that one.<<

I thought the balloon ride was very cool. Gorome has several great hikes with beautiful landscapes, but the trails are not well-marked, can be difficult to find if you're the do-it-yourself type, and take several hours out of your day to do it. So a balloon ride is a great way to see the vast amazing landscapes of Gorome within a short time period and you can really be amazed by viewing it from the high vantage point.

I splurged on the deluxe flight with Kapadokya balloons; I loved it. The celebration afterward was also great fun and memorable. I'm sure the standard tours are also very good. Just make sure you pick a reliable company to fly with.

---

Regarding Ephesus, it's an amazing place. Beware of the crowd at Ephesus though. It's best to be there at 8am for 1 to 1.5 hours of enjoyment at relative peace or come in late afternoon and stay till closing time. In between those hours, I could not believe the horde and horde of tourist groups that descended upon the ruins.

I highly recommend paying the additional 15TL once inside Ephesus to see the Terraced Houses at the site. Not only will you enjoyed seeing the ruins of the Roman houses but it's also a nice respite from the outside crowd and heat.