Irelands best budget restaurants

May 29th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Irelands best budget restaurants

We will be visiting Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny and "Dingle. Thanks for your help.
May 30th, 2003, 04:01 AM

We were recently in Galway and had a very nice three course dinner at the River God restaurant, I believe it is on High Street in the pedestrian only section of Galway. The cost was 15.50. I don't know if you consider that budget. I thought it was very good for the quality of the food.
May 30th, 2003, 06:52 AM

JuneAnne,

Many restaurants have Early Bird Specials which is usually the same dinner food only at less than dinner prices. Really eating out in Ireland is not considered very "budget" especially if it's dinner you are looking for.

In Galway we ate at K. C. Blake's which I didn't think was worth the cost of dinner. Food was ok and in smaller portions, the setting and service was fine but the cost of dinner was just not worth it. KC's is right next to Jury's on Quay St. Lunch may be worth your time but skip dinner.

A place that's NOT worth skipping is The Red Store in Youghal, Co. Cork. Not sure if you plan on going this way or not but if you do don't miss this place. Great food, decent prices and the setting is lovely - all up to date. The restaurant is upstairs over the pub.

Others have posted restaurants in Kilkenny. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them... The only place I've really eaten there is the caferteria over the Design Center across from the castle. It is certainly NOT budget but it is really good food and convenient.

Wendy
May 30th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have defined BUDGET. We would like to keep dinners under $25.00 per person. Ideally that would be for a 3 course dinner, without drinks, tax or tips.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM

We also ate at the River God restaurant in Galway in May. It is a little tricky to find as it is upstairs above a pub on Quay Street (the pedestrian area), but our persistence at locating the recommended cafe was well worth it. Our meals were delicious and the prices fair - around 15Euro. I would highly recommend this wonderful, cozy bistro and can't wait to return.

Search this Thread