Search

Sligo, Galway, Clare: food $50 a day?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sligo, Galway, Clare: food $50 a day?

Hello,

I'm wondering if its absurd of me to think I could eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a drink or two each night for $50 US dollars a day? I am a smaller person so I don't eat too much as it is. But wondering if anyone thinks this notion is ludicrous?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

As I always stayed with friends, I cannot comment how much breakfast will cost.
You can save a lot on lunch if you don't go to a real restaurant but get a hot or cold sandwich. I liked that very much as I don't eat much for lunch, and even small supermarkets often make them fresh.
Dinner can be a bit tricky. Early bird specials may help a bit to save a few Euros. Pint of beer (which in my case would always be a stout ;-) ) can be 4-5 Euros, even in not so fancy pubs. Pubs also serve food, usually for less than "real" restaurants - some a larger variety, some have a more basic menu.

From an overall perspective, I found restaurants in the ROI to be really pricey. I will not comment on the price of wine or spirits. A bottle of Jameson whiskey will cost TWICE as much in a regular Irish supermarket than on the continent.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM

Will you be staying at B&Bs? If so they will feed you a hearty breakfast.

Breakfast: bananna, cereal & milk = $5.40

sandwich from grocery or petrol stop = $5.40 to $6.00

Dinner: order a starter or lower priced pasta entree only (not both) = $13.50 to $16.00

2 alcoholic drinks = $13.50

If you are real stingy with your dollars it looks like you can do it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Great! I will be staying at B&B or hostels. But my typical day is a piece of peanut butter toast for break fast, a sandwich or salad or some sort for lunch, and a good dinner. I don't want to miss out on traditional food for dinner so if I can skimp earlier in the day or get the breakfasts at B&Bs stay light on lunch looks as if I can make it work. Thanks to you both.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

Even though I live in Ireland, I find your question difficult to answer. That is mainly because I don't often eat out on such a basis as you want to operate.

If you stay in a B&B, the breakfast is substantial. If you can take that much food early in the day, then you can get by with very little lunch.

You won't eat gourmet dinners on your budget. Some of the better-value options are pub meals (generally okay rather than great, but usually substantial) or ethnic restaurants, especially Chinese. If desperate, you can always look for the golden arches.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM

By taking advantage of the hearty breakfasts supplied at most B&Bs, doing a deli counter picnic lunch and eating in pubs, you can do well on $50, without feeling like you are scrimping. Cowboy mentioned early bird dinners which are an excelent way to save money and feel like you are treating yourself. Also, some restaurants have a value menu, http://www.valuemenu.ie/control.asp. In a typical day, we usually will have breakfast at our B&B, grab some Wexford strawberries from a roadside stand as we travel, stop at a Statol and get some breads, cheese & ham around midday and then have a bowl of stew and a drink or two in the pub that evening. The alcohol will be what eats your money quickly, so stick to a pint and sip slowly or a dram of whiskey and remember that it is sipping whiskey.

Slan Beo,

Bit Devine
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

All such wonderful advice!

Padraig, I have not eaten at the Golden Arches since I watched "Supersize Me." I couldn't possibly anyway while on travel to such a wonderful place as Ireland. Though pub won't be gourmet I'd rather get the experience meeting people over a pint.

Craic, I like the idea of meat and cheese in the afternoon as its good protein and it will stay with me. Stew sounds delicious too! Much gratitude to you both.

IrishEyes....and all others you have given a girl on a budget great hope!

Peace.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM

sunnyside,

Breakfast will last you for many hours. Lunch can be brown bread and cheese from a grocer or wonderful soup and brown bread at a pub. Dinner, you can find fish & chips or other forms of fast food. Sure you can do it.

Have fun, Joan
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, in Galway there is a restaurant called McDonagh's, 22 Quay Street. On the take-way side, you can get the most amazing fish & chips or fried chicken and chips for a very reasonable price. The portions are quite large, so you might order a children's meal. I did when I hadn't anyone to split it. Grab your dinner and sit out at one of the picnic tables out front and people watch.

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:17 AM

That's maybe 40 Euros a day: figure on 10 Euros for 2-drinks; that gets you down to a barebones 30 Euros a day.

Here's my tactic: big breakfast at the B&B or Hotel where I'm staying gets me thru the morning. I dine around 3 PM with a Carvery lunch - I like the one at the Queens Hotel in Ennis (Clare). I'm sure there are many such places around Eyre Square in Galway. Sorry, I don't know Sligo ...

In the evening, I might have some Pub Grub with my Guinness.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM

If you do not want to skimp on dinner look for early bird menus. They are often a very good value. As I recall the Radisson Limerick has a three-course meal for around 21 euro and the Red Door in Bunratty does also. The later one is fantastic value.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful ideas everyone! I will put them all to good use! Now I just have to count the days until I get there! I can't wait!

Peace.

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I'll second the recommendation for McDonagh's in Galway. Save your change for ketchup though!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Ketchup?

Ketchup?

Ketchup?

Yuck!

It's a law that you must use malt vinegar with fish and chips.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

I only like katsup on my burgers and dogs. Fries I LOVE malt vinegar! i have my own little concoction of malt, mayo, and pepper....for my fries...drool.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM

LOL! Tell that to my husband. I stuck with the malt vinegar.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM

I'm a malt vinegar fan too. And quite upset that I can no longer find it at any of my local supermarkets. But, that aside, the ketchup doesn't taste the same in Ireland anyway. Sorry, Padraig!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM

CAPH, the ketchup tastes the same here. It tastes different there.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:18 AM

The same to you perhaps, Padraig!

My daughter tells me if you mix the malt vinegar with the ketchup, it tastes like American ketchup!