Ireland trip with son

Search

Ireland trip with son

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland trip with son

My husband and I are flying to Ireland in early September and plan on being there 6 days. We thought we would stay in the West, Southwest area. We are flying in and out of Shannon. We plan on staying in the Clare Co. 2 days (Doolin, Lisdoonvara, etc area) then drive down to Dingle, then Cork area. Does this sound like a good idea? Also ,what B & B would be a good place to stay when we arrive? Thought somewhere near Doolin? We would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Penninsula, Blarney stone, and Old Head Golf course. Any help would be appreciated. (1st time over there)
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM

I'd consider something like this:

Day 1: See the Cliffs and overnight in Doolin.

Day 2 & 3: Drive to Dingle, using Tarbert-Killimer ferry. Spend two nights in Dingle.

Day 4: Drive to Kinsale, stopping at Blarney on the way. Overnight in Kinsale.

Day 5: Visit Old Head before heading back up to the Shannon area to spend your last night not far from the airport.

If you have an extra day that I haven't counted, I'd spend it either in Killarney Natl. Park or a bit farther south in the Kenmare area.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM

If you do decide on Dingle, I would recommend staying at the Shores. Yes, it is not in Dingle -- just over the Conor Pass near Castlegregory. Also, have dinner there. The place is great!!

http://www.theshorescountryhouse.com/

Last night, I would recommend the Bunratty Lodge. She has rooms for 3 people. Very nice, clean, and friendly. Tour the Bunratty castle and folk park on your last day and do some shopping. I recommend Kathleen's for dinner -- It's in the Bunratty Castle Inn across the street from the castle.

Mary has provided an excellent itinerary for 6 days. I agree to try to slip in time for Killarney Nat'l Park. Have fun.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help...I can't tell you how much it means to have assistance from someone that has been over there. I hope both replies can feel the hugs I'm sending !
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Looking at Links Courses you might stop at Doonberg near Kilkee (Co Clare). It has a few unique holes. If you want to play 9-holes on a links layout I would recommend Spanish Point (near Miltown Malbay in Co Clare). It's a fun 9-hole executive (no Par-5's) course. Once, on my arrival I stayed at Fitzgerald's B&B in Miltown Malbay and played there.

The next morning I went up to Lahinch, the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin (for lunch) the Burren and Corofin, Lisdoonvarna, Ennistymon, etc ...