Ireland Itinerary

Search

Ireland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland Sept.10-18.

We plan to drive from Shannon airport to Killarney and stay 3 or 4 days.
I picked Killarney because it looked to be central for sightseeing.

Any suggestions for B&B's.
I have e-mailed Friars Glen Guesthouse twice but have not received a reply, so I
am planning to call.

I am also looking at Ross Castle Lodge.

Next we want to visit the Cliffs of Moher area for a couple of days. We had planned on staying in Doolin but am not sure.

Would I be pushing it to think about going to Clifden. Just a thought.

Flying out of Shannon on the 18th. What town would be best?

My head is spinning, any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM

With only seven days to spend on the ground, I wouldn't suggest trying to see Killarney and Clifden. It is feasible, just not the best way to experience Ireland. Killarney being southwest and Clifden being upper northwest, you would spend a considerable amount of time in your vehicle.

What is it that you are looking for with this holiday? Each area you would like to see has it's strong points. If you let us know what you hope to take home with you, we could better help you.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I think your right Cowboy, to far and not enough time to go to Clifden. I am still studying my Frommers guidebook.
In Killarney we want to visit Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, etc. (history and nature with a little pub music).
Then on to see the Cliff of Moher and other area sites.
Not sure what village or town to stay in while there.

Flying out of Shannon Sept.18 at 11:00 A.M.. What is best town to stay in for our last night?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM

My suggestion...

night 1 doolin (bit of burren and cliffs)

night 2-3 dingle (enjoy dingle town, next day-slea head loop)

night 4-6 kenmare (lots of options...would suggest Ross Castle, Muckross House and drive thru Killarney Nationl Park/Ladies View/Moll's Gap on way to Kenmare; one day-Garnish Island, Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass; one day- Gap of Dunloe or ROK

night 7 bunratty (castle/folk park...which we all did enjoy, more burren, or shopping...
our last day we drove from kenmare to bunratty via scenic drive past ladies view, had a detour, stopped in Adare for lunch (not worth, in my opinion) and still had plenty of time to visit the castle, folk park, check into B&B, relax, head back to park for pint at Mac's pub, then the late banquet and a wonderful starlight stroll back to B&B.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I would have to say that Chip has laid out an excellent course of travel. I would also have to vote for Kenmare over Killarney. If your budget can handle it, Riverville House, http://www.rivervillehousekenmare.com/, is superb. Virginia's Guesthouse, http://www.virginias-guesthouse.com/, or O'Donnabhain's, http://www.donnabhains.com/, would be two others to check for availability.

I would chose the Ring of Beara over the Ring of Kerry simply because its beauty is more rugged and the tourist crowd isn't as bad as on the Ring of Kerry.

Bunratty is an excellent choice for your last night's stay. Take in Irish night in the Corn Barn at the Folk
Park. It is grand fun.

Enroute to Doolin from Shannon, you can visit the Cliffs of Moher by taking the coast road. A wonderful place to stop and explore is the Liscannor Stone Shop. Cullinan's B&B, http://www.cullinansdoolin.com/, would be a great place to stay in Doolin. You might consider staying two nights in Doolin so that you can drive the Burren or take a day trip to Inis Mor.

That would give you two nights in Doolin, two nights in Dingle, three nights in Kenmare and one in Bunratty.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I like Chip's itinerary. As Cowboy and Chip said it would really be pushing it to get up to Clifden. I suggest you look at the web sites of: IrelandYes and
IrelandExpert
Both of these ladies have hotel, guesthouses, and b&b's recommandations for places they have stayed. IrelandYes goes once a year at least and does stay in these places. I try not to recommend someplace unless I've stayed and liked it. In Kenmare it was The Lodge and in Dingle it was Greenmount House. Both locations have many accommodations. I do like your Killarney accommodations. I haven't stayed but have read good things about both places. I did stay at Killarney Park Hotel and it was very nice. Good luck, Joan