Dingle or Aran Is

Aug 24th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Dingle or Aran Is

I'm finalizing plans for 9 days in SW/W of Ireland in Sept. I've had to switch things around little to try to get good accomodations at this late date.
I've firmed up the first 6 days:
Day 1 arrive Shannon, Adare,Bunratty. Head to Kenmare for 3 nights at Shenn Falls Lodge.
Hike Gap of Dunloe, See National Park, do at least a portion of Ring of Kerry.
Day 4: Drive south, Beara Peninsula, gardens near Glengariff. Overnight in Kinsale.
Day 5: Tour Kinsale and Cobh; Two nights at Ballyvolane House. See Jameson Distillery, maybe tour Waterford.
Now for my question: We have 3 more nights before we fly out of Shannon at 1:00 PM on the 4th day. How should we divide it?
Drive to Dingle spend 2 nights there; then drive through Burren, see Cliffs of Moher spend last night within one hours drive of airport. Or
Skip Dingle, Drive to Clare spend last 3 nights there. Perhaps we could day trip to Aran Is if we spent at least 2 nights in Clare. We love suggestons. Thanks

Aug 24th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

What? No Opinions?
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:04 PM

I would head to Dingle from Shannon and spend the first three nights there (Heaton's Guesthouse). Then go on with your plans. From Cobh/Kinsale it would be a 4-5 hours drive to Shannon, maybe you will have to stay another night close to the airport due to your flight back?
Have fun
Karen
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:15 AM

Hi, just returned from 9 days in Ireland. Dingle was one of my favorite places. I would add it in but do it while you are in the area (while in Kenmare, or spend the night in Dingle) and then once you are done on the south coast drive up through Cahir and Cashel on your way back to Shannon. Unless you are very picky about accomodations I wouldn't worry. There were vacancy signs everywhere - and this was suppossed to be the high season. All our B&B owners said tourism was way down this year. The only place we went that was full was Kilkenny (and there was an arts festival going on). Kenmare and Kilkenny and Dingle all had many, many vacancy signs (both B&Bs and larger hotels).

If you do go to Cahir and Cashel I recommend Carrigeen Castle B&B - it's an actual castle (through very small, and was mostly used as a jail during it's history) - but it's fun (and very inexpensive - it's not luxury though, but perfectly comfortable). They were the other place that had no vacancies so if you were thinking about it you should book it, they have a web site. It's walking distance to Cahir Castle (another highlight of our trip) and only about a 20 minute drive to the Rock of Cashel.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Do not miss Dingle! I've been in Ireland many, many times.....Dingle is absolutely unforgettable!
MB West Texas
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:39 AM

I know that you have set some of your plans, but I think starting in Kinsale and working your way up the west coast would work much better giving you more flexibility RE: Dingle and/or Clare. I, too, am traveling over in Sept. starting in Skibbereen then moving up the coast via Dingle and ending up in Clare as I will be visiting Inismeain for a couple of days. Your destinations are good and so are the activities, but you will find the distance to Clare very challenging. When on the Beara Peninsula, try to visit Eyeries as it is a pretty village. Also, you'll want to cross the Healy Pass. Enjoy yourself, Keenan
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. Unnfortunately, I am confirmed for for the first 6 nts of our trip (Kenemare>Kinsale>Castlelyons).AND I hate to miss Dingle entirely based on all of your comments. I thought we could head back toward Killarney, spend a night or two in Dingle and then have a nice drive via the Tarbert Ferry up through Clare staying the last night ]or two in Clare.
Does anyone know how long a drive it would be from Castlelyons to Dingle? Or do you have any other routing suggestions?
Aug 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM

From Castlelyons to Dingle is about 100 miles, so figure on a 3 hour drive.
I'd also like to cast another vote for Dingle. The view from Slea Head out over the Blasket Islands takes my breath away every time.
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mary Z, I think 3 hrs to Dingle will be worth it. And I suspect the drive using the Tarbert ferry to Clare will be enjoyable.
We're choosing between the Ballyvaughan area and the Corofin for the last nights. Does anyone have any suggetions?
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:58 PM

I'd choose Ballyvaughan because of its location on Galway Bay.
The Killimer-Tarbert ferry crossing is a nice trip and only takes about 20 minutes. We had a group of dolphins swimming and jumping alongside the ferry as we crossed last month.