Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ireland itinerary help -- plans changed where would you put extra nights?

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly into Shannon on Wednesday May 16. We leave from Dublin on Friday June 1. Part of the trip was a mini-break walking tour which has been cancelled. That took 4 nights. So I want to rework the itinerary -- it is currently as follows:

May 16 -- Dingle

May 17 - 20 Killarney

May 21-22 Ballyvaughan

May 23-24 Clifton

May 25 Achill Island

May 26-27 Donegal

May 28-29 Giants Causeway

May 30-31 Drogheda

Since we are not doing the walking tour, I do not want to spend 4 nights in Killarney. Possibly 2 nights there and another night in Donegal and another night ???

Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I would add another night to Dingle, as there is so much to explore on the Peninsula. Another night in Donegal would be a great idea, as well. That will give you time to explore more of the area. There is so much to see & do in the Killarney area that perhaps 3 nights would be more palatable. Perhaps, even look at either adding a night on Achill or including a ninght in Derry or Westport.

I am sorry to hear that you rwalking tour was cancelled. They can be great fun, indeed!

I hope that this is of some help.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM

A lot depends on your interests. My family (myself, wife, and 3 kids) found several interesting places near the Sperrin Mountains in the North. Being history buffs, we enjoyed the Beaghmore Stone Circles, the Sperrin Heritage Center, and it looked like we would have enjoyed the Ulster History Park (not to be confused with the Ulster American Folk Park) had it not been closed. Also went to Enniskillen and toured Castle Coole; there's a very large playground nearby on the Lough Erne. Just to give you some ideas from the North, for what it's worth.

Enjoy the beautiful countryside!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Hi, mpkp -

Can I ask where you are flying from? If you're flying from another part of Europe, for example, you'll probably be ok to make the drive to Dingle that first day, but if you're flying over the pond, I think making it from Shannon airport all the way to Dingle is going to be difficult. That's a fairly long drive and you never really know how jet lag will hit you - better to be safe.

If you are on a long flight, I might recommend staying that first day in the Shannon area (perhaps near Bunratty). Then, on the next day, head to Dingle. I would recommend giving yourself more than one day there since you are going to be spending the first half (at least) of that day drive driving. It doesn't seem worth making the drive if you are going to spend just an afternoon there. That would give you two days in Killarney then which you could easily fill doing the Gap of Dunloe, Ross Castle (and boat tour, for example), Killarney National Park, Muckross House, etc.

So maybe reconsider this (again, if jet lag applies)

May 16 Shannon area (Bunratty, Adare, Limerick or someplace thereabouts)

May 17-18 Dingle

May 19-20 Killarney

If jet lag doesn't apply, I think you could still easily give another day to Killarney or Dingle. You could add a trip around the ROK or head SW and tour the Beara Peninsula.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Dingle is about 2.5 hours from Shannon and depending on you ability to handle jet lag (not as bad if you are from the east coast) it's doable. Castlegregory is a bit shorter, so you could stay there. Add at least one night to Dingle. Consider staying in Kenmare rather than Killarney. Also consider a trip out to Great Skellig if you get the weather. It's a long ride to Portmagee from Killarney, doable from Kenmare.

Bill
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

We are coming from the East Coase but we are also flying business class so I hope we will get a little sleep. I thought about 2 nights in Kenmare or somewhere near and an extra night in Donegal. Maybe instead of staying in Drogheda -- we wanted to do NewGrange -- stay a little North for two nights and stay neat the Dublin Airport the last night?

Part of me thinks staying one or two places for 3 mights instead of 2 might be a good way to break things up.

We get into Shannon fairly early on Wednesday so, assuming we get some sleep on the way over, we would have that afternoon in Dingle and most of the next day.

All the reservations are made so I would like to disrupt it as little as possible but feel that we need to make these decisions fairly quickly.

Thanks for the input!

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM

I agree with Bit, aegris, and Bill about another night in Dingle and I also like the small town of Kenmare over the larger Killarney. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I too would prefer Kenmare over Killarney. We drove through Killarney on the way to/from Kenmare and were very glad we chose the smaller and quainter Kenmare over it.

If you do decide on Kenmare, we did the Ring of Beara, as recommended to us by our B&B hosts, and it was a lovely day. Just something else to consider...

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I agree staying 2 nights in Dingle, 2 nights in Kenmare, add a 3rd night to Kenmare (would cause less changes to rest of itinerary) or the other night to Donegal. That way you will have time to enjoy Slea Head Loop in Dingle. You can explore Gap of Donloe or other areas of Killarney National Park on way towards Kenmare. I would spend the other Kenmare day exploring the Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass. We also visited Garnish Island the same day we did Healy Pass.

Dingle and Kenmare are our favorite towns...great pubs, music, food, easy and nice to walk around town.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM
GBC

We flew from the east coast with an early arrival in Shannon. I can never sleep on a plane but we were able to pick up our car. Then we found a quiet spot for a little nap right in the car. Rested, we were able to proceed to Dingle with no problems at all - even on the 'other' side of the road.

I too think that you would like Kenmare.

Don't worry too much about revising your reservations. You are early in the season and shouldn't have too much trouble.

Try to keep Newgrange in your plan. We thought it was very impressive.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Ennis' Spring Festival Is May 20-28 this year. http://www.fleadhnua.com It's not far from Ballyvaughan so you might want to spend an extra day there (if there's anything available). That's what I would do!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 01:56 AM

spend more time in donegal its picture perfect....
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- I think we will spend 2 nights in dingle and then 2 nights in Kenmare or somewhere else near there. Then we will do the trip as planned except add a night in Northern Donegal. That way we can go up there without having to drive all the way south and then back up to the Giant's Causeway.

So now I need some ideas where to stay in Kenmare and the northern part of Donegal. I thought about Rathmullan House as a splurge for the one night but it is pretty pricey. I would prefer to spend no more than about $200 or so each night.

Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM

I liked my stay at The Lodge in Kenmare and hear Shelbourne Lodge and Sallyport House are very nice.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I am also in the process of making my reservations so I am interested in your responses. I see many posters recommend Kenmare and we had planned to spend 3 nights there. On the Irelandyes.com website though, Michelle is offering the LochLein Guest House with a lakeview for 60pp.--looks really nice. I hope it is as lovely as the website shows and that we are not disappointed that we didn't stay in Kenmare.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I don't know what your plans for Donegal are, but you might want to check out www.castlemurray.com. We were just exploring the area (& we were travelling with our friends the Murrays -no relation) and stopped in for a pint and the staff couldn't have been nicer It's a lovely hotel and the rates seem reasonable for what you're getting and the dining room etc were 4* to say the least.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Our final itinerary is as follows:

May 16 - Dingle Castlewood House

May 17,18,19 Kenmare Sallyport House

May 20,21 Ballyvaughan Cappabahaile House

May 22,23 Clifden Quay House

May 24 Achill Island The Bervie

May 25,26 Donegal Coxtown Manor

May 27 Letterkenney Castle Grove

May 28,29 Portrush Shola Cottage

May 30,31 Dorgheda The D Hotel

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Dear mpkp,

I think you did a great job. Have a wonderful trip and be sure to report back to us and tell us about your trip and accommodations.

Regards, Joan