Please comment on our family trip to Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- I am in the early stages of arranging a chaffeur tour for a family of 6 adults (3 in their 60s and 3 in their 30s) and one infant. We are looking to cover the highlights of Ireland and have received the following itinerary as a first attempt. My main stipulation was that we stay 2 nights in any given location if at all possible because of the baby and also because the older adults are not necessarily used to packing/repacking etc, recognizing this might lead to a a bit more driving during the day but we'll be in a comfortable van.

Comments are welcome, especially if there are more things to see in between land transfers. Also, I would like to try and add Northern Ireland perhaps on the front end for 2 nights but am not sure if that is feasible.

Day 1: Arrive at Dublin Airport
Day 1-2: Dublin - Staying at Roxford Lodge Hotel - independent exploring
En-route from Dublin to Kinsale, we would recommend a visit to Kilkenny and Cashel

Day 3-4: Kinsale - Staying at The Old Presbytery
While staying in Kinsale, we would recommend visiting Cobn and Cork City
On route from Kinsale to Killarney, we would recommend visiting the Blarney Stone.

Day 5-7: Killarney - Staying at Earls Court House
While staying in Killarney, we would recommend touring the Ring of Kerry and visiting Kenmare, including the peninsual of Iveragh, and Dingle, including the Slea Head loop drive.

Day 8-10: Doolin & The Cliffs of Moher - Staying at Ballyvara House
Visiting the Burren, Doonagore Castle and the Cliffs of Moher, Galway City and the Aran Islands.

Departure from Shannon Airport

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:53 AM

I like the 2 nights in each place. Would not try to fit in Northern Ireland.

Some of your days have a lot planned, like Days 5-7, 8-10, so I am assuming you are not trying to do them all? It sounds like a lot of time in the van, but that may be just me. I prefer to get out and walk and talk more.

Hope my two cents is of some help.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:07 AM

With the logistics of traveling with 7 people of many age grouns, I personally would look into staying in 2 places and using them as bases. I travel with just my husband and myself and try to avoid any 2 night stays, we like 3-5 nights anywhere and pick locations based on available day trips to reduce moving around.

If that is not possible, I'd for sure reduce it to 3 stops which might make flying into and out of Shannon a good option and removing Dublin as it looks like you only have the day you arrive there and part of the next day which isn't a lot.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM

I dont think you can include Northern Ireland.

Also I would have some concern about day 5 -7.

Say you arrive day 5 and leave on day 7 you only have one full day to do a day-trip and return to Killarney.

Ring of Kerry and visiting Kenmare is a one-day trip if you want to stop for lunch etc. Good places to stop would be Kenmare or Portmagee (there is a good pub there on the harbour called The Moorings with good lunches - at least the food was good when I was last there 3 years ago).

The Iveragh Pennisula and Ring of Kerry are more or less the same thing. Same Pennisula.

Dingle is a town on another pennisula north of that. It is again a one-day trip.
This is another day trip but to take in Slea head which is west of Dingle would really require staying in Dingle for the night. I think to appreciate Dingle you need to stay in it for a night visit the pubs restaurants etc.

Just remember those western tips of pennisulas like Slea Head and the Ring of Kerry look easier on the map. The roads can be narrow and in summer can have a lot of tour buses etc so progress might be slower than you expect.

Remember in Ireland weather is unpredictable and if it is raining heavily you are wasting your time driving around the Ring of Kerry - unless you like fog and mist.

Flying in and out of Shannon might be your best option as it will save you time and you could then get in Dingle comfortably. I will post my suggested itinerary - I am Irish and live in Dublin and I am a regular visitor to all the places you mentioned.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM

ay 1: Arrive at Shannon Airport (flights from US usually get in very early in the morning)
Day 1: Ballyvaughan (stay at Grogans Castle(higher end), Hylands Hotel (middle price)
After resting - drive around local Burren area Poulnabrone Dolmen, Fanore.
Lunch at Linnanes, New Quay, Monks, Ballyvaughan)
Day 2: leave Ballyvaughan - visit Cliffs of Moher - drive to Killimer and take ferry across Shannon to Tarbert in north Kerry - drive from there to Dingle.

Day 3: Dingle - Benners Hotel is in the town, I havent stayed there. There are several guesthouses and other hotels in area.
Day 4 Drive around Slea Head and back to Dingle
Day 5 Leave Dingle early and drive to Killarney. Go there via Ring of Kerry - Killorglan-Glenbeigh-Portmagee - Kenmare - stop for lunch in Portmagee or Kenmare.
Day 6
Day 7 Drive to Kinsale stay in Kinsale explore area. - maybe Cork/Cobh and Blarney Stone.
Day 8 Stay in Kinsale
Day 9 Drive from Kinsale to Shannon - stay at Bunratty Village - stay at The Courtyard Guesthouse or Bunratty Castle Hotel. Visit Bunratty Folk Park and Bunratty Castle - Medieval Banquet in Bunratty Castle requires reservation and is a good last night event.
Day 10 From Bunratty Village you are just 30 minutes from the Airport. for departure.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM

You don;t say how old the infant is - nor what sort of temperament it has. Is it very calm, naps a lot, eats anything? does it like long car rides?

This seems like a trip planned for the adults - with the infant along as another piece of luggage.

I doubt you can keep up this plan with a baby. And if it's at the toddler stage - even worse.