Ireland Sept 2008

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Sept 2008

Arriving Shannon 2 Sep and departing Dublin 14 Sep. Planning on visiting Doolin 2 nights, heading to Dingle via Tarbert Kilrush Ferry for 2 nights. From there would like to visit Muckross House Gardens and Farm, Ross Castle, Ladies View, Killarney Natl Park and the scenic view between Killarney and Kenmare. How many days should we alot for these sights? Would there be a preference on staying in either Killarney or Kenare. Thank you.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM

The Muckross House Gardens and Farm are one day. Try to make it on a nice weather because the farm is just lovely and very conducive to walking at leisure (say Hi to Tabby the black cat in one of the cottages, he sure will introduce himself, no worries! ). The drive Killarney-Kenmare is about 40 minutes and a bit rough at times, nothing dangerous, but just take it easy and let the locals go their merry way . The road is actually very scenic, including the Ladies View Look out (look out for the sheep, by the way...). I would allow another day for the Killarney National Park, to include lakes and a visit to Ross Castle. We stayed at Kenmare and absolutely loved every second of it. Lovely village, fantastic people, wonderful Irish music in the evenings everywhere, super-amazing restaurants, and great ambience. Killarney often gets knocked down in this forum because it is a bigger size city and more of a touristy feel to it. However, I think Killarney is perfect for families with kids. It has the amenities (theatres, shops, parks) that keep children occupied nicely, but still has that small city feel to it. It is also closer to Killarney National Park with the waterfalls that kids may want to enjoy more than once. Shopping is also fabulous in Killarney I also loved Kenmare because it was very easy to hop on to the Ring of Kerry Loop. I can see how coming from Shannon, you would do the Dingle Peninsula first.

Hope these pointers help steer your vacation in the best direction for your vacation style! Have a great time!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Viajero2 for your suggestions. Do you consider The Muckross House Gardens and Farm as a "must see". Reason being, I would like to only allot two days to sightseeing Killarney, Kenmare, Gap of Dunloe, Killarney National Park and Ross Castle. Or would we be able to do all.....???? Help!!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Do I understand your post right in that you will be exploring Killarney and environs from Dingle? That's a bit more complicated that it needs to be. Stay in Killarney a couple of days and explore from there. One of my favorite days from Kenmare was the Ring of Kerry. We had a great guidebook and made a number of stops along the way (loved the Stone Forts!).

I would skip the Muckross House if limited by time. The Muckross Farms was fun and gave us a different type sightseeing activity. That said, if limited by time, then skip it, too.

I guess a day for Killarney National Park (drive around), Ross Castle (2 hours), and drive out to Kenmare would make a nice day.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi! We are leaving Dingle in the morning and driving to Killarney and spending two nights there to sightsee in the area. I appreciate your reply. Any suggestions for places to stay IN Killarney or within walking distance to city center?
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM

hbo-- besides browsing from this forum, I recommend venere.com to get good ideas for centric hotels in Killarney. I personally thought the hotels around the lakes are lovely, but they are a walk to the city centre.