Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Killarney National Park, Muckross House and Kenmare all possible in one day?

Feb 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

My family is taking our first trip to Ireland this June. We are basing in Dingle for one week.

I am having trouble judging how long it will take to take some daytrips from Dingle. For example, is it possible to drive to Killarney National park and tour it, then see Muckross House and then drive on to Kenmare all in one day?

We would then need to drive back to Dingle.

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for interesting daytrips from Dingle.

We already plan to drive the Dingle peninsula and see the sights in and around Dingle town.

But, I would like to know if there are any interseting towns or sights that are within driving distance of Dingle.

Thanks so much for your help! laurie
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM

I suppose it's humanly possible, but I would not try it. We did this journey one way, driving from Dingle to Kenmare, and it was a pleasant day, stopping at a couple of spots in the National Forest and doing a tour through Muckross. The drive from Killarney over to Kenmare is just too beautiful -- and the road too winding --to rush. The idea of doing this journey and then turning around and driving back to Dingle boggles my imagination. I would not try it.

Why not spend the night in Kenmare, or even base yourself in Killarney, and then you are part of the way back to Dingle before you start your return?

Ireland is a feast for the eyes. Don't rush it. You will never forget the trip.

Jim
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Jim, Thank you for your comments. We are locked into staying in Dingle for one week.
We are renting a house and we are being joined by other family members halfway through the week.

So, we can't just pick up and leave. How long does it take to drive to Muckross house from Dingle? How long from Dingle to Kenmare?

Thanks again for your help. Laurie
Feb 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM

It takes approximately 1 1/2 hours to drive to Killarney. Killarney to Kenmare is about 45 - 60 minutes. You will need to add time for any stops you make.
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, Irish Eyes.

Can you tell me how long it would take to drive to Bunratty castle? My daughter would like to visit a castle. Are there any other castles near Dingle?

Also, how long does it take to drive from the Kerry airport to Dingle?

Thanks so much for help! Laurie
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Here, use this link to calculate some of your driving times -- Just tack on a little extra to take into account the slow downs caused by sheep and other farm animals in the roads. Also, in June you will have daylight until about 10pm.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, Budman. I am sure it will help!
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Laurie, Be sure to add on time to the distance calculator as those computers can drive much faster than us humans! It will take about 3 hours or more to drive to Bunratty from Dingle. Ross Castle in Killarney is much closer. On the Dingle Peninsula is Minard Castle but it is very ruined and you cannot go in it. The setting is nice.

Kerry Airport to Dingle town is around 1 1/2 hours. Depends on your route.
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM

In Killarney, there is the VERY nicely restored Ross Castle, complete with very informative tour. It is just up the road from Muckross House. You could make a full, separate day to tour both, possibly adding in Muckross Traditional Farms and/ or Torc Falls, too. That would shave hours off the day trip to Kenmare.
Speaking of that -- have you considered doing the Ring of Kerry drive. If you get an early start and get ahead of the tour buses it might be a pleasant drive to Kenmare. Then the drive in to Killarney via Moll's Gap and Ladies View would not be repeating the route into Kenmare.

You don't really 'Tour' Killarney National Park. You mostly just go in and walk around. The Gap of Dunloe / Lakes boat tour (with, or without, the jaunting car ride) is MUCH more interesting than the Nat'l Park, though you will be hard pressed to find any bad scenery, anywhere in Co Kerry.

Bob
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM

While you are in Dingle consider taking the boat over to the Blasket Islands, I think "Great Blasket" was the main one where the boat stops. There's one pub on the island & not a lot else, but it's beautiful with great views.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I would recommend against going out to the Blaskets unless you are into hiking and wandering around. There's virtually nothing out there (one coffee shop), and getting to/from was a pain in the butt. I recommend going to the Blasket cultural center on Dingle, touring, and moving on.
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM

The Great Blasket is one of the most wondrous places on this earth. If you are spending a week in Dingle, you'll probably visit the Blasket centre on the mainland. That should whet your appetite. Beg, borrow, or steal (or even purchase) a copy of "The Blasket Islands" by Joan & Ray Stagles. Then go in to the Great Blasket(did you know that Irish people go "in" to islands?).

Have coffee if you like, but just walk the village and throw you mind back 80 years to picture the little community on the remotest margin of Europe, a community of fewer than 200 people who produced enough material to fill a bookshelf.
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM

What are Jaunting Cars? and where are they located, sounds like fun.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the discussion about the Blasket Islands. I am considering a boat ride form Dingle to see them after we have visited the museum.

However it will cost our family of 4 about $150.00, so I want to make sure this is really something we want to do.

While looking for interesting sites to seee near Dingle, I came across the Kerry Bog Village Museum in Glenbeigh.

It is a museum which depicts life as it was in the early 1800's.

Has anyone visited this museum? What were your impressions?

Thanks again for all your discussion. It is really helping me make some choices for our trip! Laurie
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM

I'm a real slow traveler. I did spend a week on Dingle in 2005. I don't know the ages of your children but there are lovely beaches, horse back riding, and an aquarium. I could spend another week there just sitting and looking at the lovely scenery. I did spend a week in Glenbeigh one time and yes, I enjoyed the Kerry Museum. If you are going by there and have the time, it is worth a stop. There's a good pub right next to it.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Chatham, Thanks for your advice about the museum. The "children" are 21 and 18 years old.
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM

In July, just driving through Killarney can take some time, because of the 'bumper-to-bumper' traffic from out past the Outlet Center until you are well beyond the roundabout near Ross Road.

Another oprion to consider adding to the Kenmare day would be to take the Cork-Macroom-Killarney Road (the N22, bypassing Killarney Town Center toward Macroom. -- Watch for the Sculptures scattered along the road -- Turn off near Ballingeary at the signs for a visit to Gougane Barra. From there, continue West to connect to the N71 between Glengarrif and Kenmare.

Also, re: Jaunting Cars:
From my answer to another post:

Mostly, they are only in Killarney. A jaunting car is a horse drawn cart that nominally seats four. The driver, or jarvey, either stands on the back edge, or walks along side. Some of the larger ones have an actual seat for the driver, but those you mostly see in town.
The smaller (no seat for the jarvey) type are primarily used to ply the Kate Kierney's Cottage to Lord Bandon's Cottage section of the Gap of Dunloe Tour through the Black Valley region. Cost (last I knew) was about 80 EURO per trip (for up to 4 - but on the steeper sections, two of you are expected to get out and walk, occassionally).
In town, there is a stand, like a taxi rank, at the Roundabout just up from the Tourist Office. Never ridden on those, so can't comment on the price.
They are also visible on the grounds of Muckross House and Ross Castle. I suppose they dotake you on rides through the Park.
At the Gap of Dunloe, the jarvey license is hereditary, so many of the operators have been plying the tourist trade for generations.
If you are reasonably fit, you don't need the jaunting car to travel through the Gap, but the insites, information and conversation CAN make the trip even better. Given the quality of the scenery, that's high praise, indeed.
Bob