Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland or Italy? Which is more 'beautiful'?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:50 AM
wic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am conflicted about where to go--Ireland or Italy. I know that many will say that it is different for every person, but I would like input on what you think is the more beautiful country, if that question can be answered. My definition of beauty (I know this will be different for everyone), is all about the scenery. In Italy, I was thinking the Dolomites, Cinque Terre, and Tuscany. In Ireland, I was thinking about visiting the western coast. I don't get the chance to take big trips very often, so I want to make sure that I make the right choice. My trip would be planned for late-May, early June.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM

MY opinion is that Italy is more "beautiful" simply because it has so much more varied topography.

Having visited both, the people are delightful in both places, but in Italy it seemed that they went WAY out of their way -- and this was just the average person on the street -- to help you out.

My 1st husband was born in Northern Ireland and his family always told him that the young men in Dublin would give him mis-directions just for fun, so not to depend on help on the street. Now, that was back in the 60s, so it may have changed and I should probably add that he was the type of guy who always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
hdm

Just coincidentally, I've done both these trips within the last few years. We were in Tuscany for the first time in May/June of this year and loved it. We spent a week in an apartment in Montepulciano and did day trips to other towns from there.

A couple of years ago we spent a week in a cottage in Connamarra, on the west coast of Ireland and then drove back to Dublin for a week there.

The countryside in Tuscany was so pastoral gorgeous and it would be hard to beat. But the west coast of Ireland was fascinating for it's craggy roughness and when those storms lash, boy, they really lash!

I can't tell you which is more beautiful based on scenery. As you say, each has its own glory. I will tell you though that we visited more towns in Tuscany than in Connamarra. On the other hand (and aren't those other hands annoying?) those Tuscan towns were also more crowded with tourists whereas the ones in Connamarra seemed more 'natural' to me. If you do go to Ireland, though, try to spend a few days in Galway City.

Wic, whatever you decide, make a commitment to it. It would be terrible if you chose one and then spend your whole vacation wishing you'd chosen the other.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi wic,

You can't go wrong with either.

Choose one for now and go to the other next time.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Have to agree with ira...chose one and enjoy it for what it is and put the other on a later "to do list." They are so different and both have so much to offer. You will enjoy whichever you chose and the food is great.
Actually climate might have something to do with your choice. If you are into hiking...or beach...check the weather patterns for each.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Which is more beautiful, Ireland or Italy? My dear, that is like comparing pomegranites and mangoes, Carravagio and El Greco, Bach and Rachmaninov. Each is incredibly beautiful in it's own unique fashion. Both Ireland and Italy have breathtaking scenery. I will never forget looking at Vesuvius across the Bay of Naples, nor will I forget the sight of the Ten Bens in the distance, across the bogs.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM

I would have to say Italy, no contest, although I'm sure it depends on where you go. I particularly loved the Tuscan countryside, Rome, Venice, and the Amalfi coast. The west coast of Ireland was nice but in my opinion couldn't hold a candle to those parts of Italy in terms of scenery. But I have friends who were underwhelmed by Tuscany and couldn't get enough of Ireland. To me it's not even close. But everyone is different.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM

For lack of a better way to flip the coin, which place is less like where you now live? I say, go to a place that will give you a real change of environment -- best way to have a sense of having <i> traveled</i>!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Italy! Absoultely!
(I've been to both)

Love,

xverso xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM

No one can answer that question but you. And the best way to do it is to look at photos of both places. Any book store will have many &quot;coffee table&quot; books with photos of both countries. I don't mean guide books, I mean photo books. There are also a ton of photos on the internet. Go to Google, select &quot;images&quot; and type in Ireland and then Italy. You will get so many great sites. To get you started, try the site where I post my photos (I have photos of both countries), www.pbase.com/annforcier
After you've looked at enough photos I think you will know which one speaks to you more.

Italy and Ireland have very different scenery. Some people seem to love them both, but most people have a preference because they are so different. My personal choice is Italy.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM

I've been to both. Loved both.

Ira is the smartest man in the world.

Listen to him.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM

Wic, I think alot depends on who is traveling. If its you alone, well then only your opinion counts. I have been to both with young teenagers and by far Italy was their favorite. Although Ireland was beautiful, the more varied terrain of Italy won them over. After a while the kids found more green rolling hills and even another castle tiring.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:50 PM

apples and oranges? which one to eat?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM

Do you have a favorite color?
If it's gold, try Italy.
If it's green, go to Ireland.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:49 AM

wic - two beautiful countries and both well worth a visit. In a dilemma such as this I would a) flip a coin and see how happy/sad I was with the result. b) check out the weather. My guess is it will probably be a bit better/guaranteed in Italy. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Perhaps you've considered this - but we typically do both. We start many European trips with a week in Ireland. We go to one town and relax (a small village in west cork). Then we fly somewhere on the mainland (generally France or Italy) and then home from there. The airfare - booked this way - is about 100US$s more than a roundtrip.

Of course, this assumes you have enough time (at least 2 weeks) for this to make sense. We've done Ireland/Nice, Ireland/Rome, Ireland/Florence, and next year we are doing Ireland/Sicily.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I've been to both, loved both but if I could only go to one. I choose Italy.

I don't know if Ira is the smartest man in the world but if he is...boy does he have a tough cross to bear....

How does that make YOU feel Ira???