Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I want your VOTE...10 days...Greece, Ireland or Italy

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH & I are going back to Europe for the second time from September 29-October 10, 2011. We will be flying to Europe on September 29 and flying home (Austin, TX) on October 10 which gives a total of 10 full days in our destination. Our first trip to Europe was to Paris in October 2008.

I want your VOTE and tell me WHY:

1) Greece--If we choose Greece I am thinking Athens & Santorini. Do you, Fodorites, have any other Greek island suggestions?

2) Ireland--I absolutely love the Samantha Brown Passport to Europe episode of the Ireland Coast. She explores the countrysides of Cork and Kerry. I don't know if I would use any of my ten days to see Dublin. I would lean more towards the countryside.

3) Italy--if we choose Italy I would want to do Cinque Terre/Florence/Tuscan hilltowns.

Some of you may reply that I should choose which trip to take and of course in the end I will but I would love to hear about experiences/trips you've taken/suggestions/votes on what Fodorites would do. All three trips would be amazing and they are on "my list" so I will get to all of them in time so whichever I choose, I can't lose!

Thanks in advance Fodorites!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Hmmm ! Good question.
Ironically, I have done all of those destinations in late Sep.
This answer may suprise some, but with your limited time I would see Ireland---especially the west coast. Save Italy for when you have more time.

Funny story ! The tropical storm that had just missed up at Amelia Island FL as we left, hit us on the west coast of Ireland several days later--same storm. They follow the Gulf stream waters which comes close to Ireland.

You have 3 great options---hard to go wrong.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Save Greece for when you have more time, also... Ireland seems best choice.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Ireland - DO see Dublin which can be done in 2-3 days but is worth the visit.

We loved Dublin and Ireland. Great people, great food, fun and very accesible. I was on crutches when we went and they made me feel very welcome and completely accomodated me.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM

I've always read that the winds are worse in the fall in Greece, which could impact ferries.
I too , would choose Ireland. We've been there in early October and were amazed at the roses, hydrangeas and fushias still in bloom!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM

I've been to Florence, Athens, and Santorini, but not Ireland. I've also been to Portofino, Italy, which is not Cinque Terre but close. I fell absolutely in love with the Greek Islands (Santorini, Mykonos especially), so I would vote for Greece! They're just so beautiful, and different!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM

I vote "yes", no loser in that group at all.

Boy, that was lots of help, huh?

dave
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
2g

Been to all these countries. Ireland is best visited in spring, but still doable in Oct. I'd prefer to save it for when you can visit in Spring thought. Greece wouldn't be my choice, the seas start to get rough/cold in autumn, although your visit in early Oct would maybe just miss the change in the weather/sea patterns. Maybe, being the key word!
based on what you've written in the op I'd choose Italy, the heat of summer should be gone, it's the start of the off season, so crowds should be less at the tourist sights and in 10 days you can comfortably visit Rome Florence and Venice.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
2g

Want to clarify, when I suggest to visit Ireland in the spring, I mean late spring/early summer.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM

I live in the driest part of the British Isles, Eastern England, but even there October weather can be iffy. You may be lucky in Ireland and have an 'Indian summer', but there is good reason why it is called the Emerald Isle. By October low pressure systems will be coming off the North Atlantic, and daylight hours will be shorter. I too would save Ireland for late spring/early summer.

What can I say about Greece? I love the country and go there every year. Ten days would be enough time for Athens and Santorini, but not for much else. Italy also sounds tempting. My vote? Greece or Italy.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 05:10 AM

Have not been to Greece. Have been to Italy at least a half dozen times (Major cities, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast, but not CT), and to Ireland three times (Dublin and NW coast).

While I enjoy all travel, I just never have gotten into Ireland. The people are wonderful, the sights are interesting, etc., but Ireland always seems dreary and a bit sad to me. If I didn't have family there, I probably would not go again, so it would be Italy for me for sure, and ten days would be just fine! As a matter of fact, I had several recent trips where I had only three or four days in Italy at the end of trip, and felt happy being there.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 05:56 AM

We are in Greece right this minute. It does not remind me of Ireland at all. So I declare your question to be apples and oranges.

Hope this was helpful.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM

GREECE, GREECE, GREECE.

Don't save the bigger or better countries for next time. Visit them now. Visit them again and again, part by part.

Italy is also very very beautiful and has the most variety of experiences.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:18 AM

Go to Greece. I wouldn't normally disagree with Jan but who knows what the future holds and if you'll have more time or not? I first went to Greece and fell in love with the country in 1972... life happened and I didn't make it back until 2008.

My only suggestion is to not get hung up on islands. There is so much more to Greece from Meteora to the Peloponnese to Delphi and Attica ...
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:54 AM

I haven't been to Ireland but I agree, the weather may not be the greatest in October. If you have never been to Italy or Greece, I would choose Italy. While we have been to nearly every country in western Europe (except Ireland and Norway), Italy and France are the countries we return to again and again. Italy is beautiful and there is no end to the parts of Italy to draw you in. Florence is my favorite city in Europe after Paris and the Tuscan countryside is lovely. And the food is fabulous. We like Cinque Terre a lot and it is especially fun if you are hikers. If you choose this itinerary, I'd start in CT to give yourselves the best chance of decent weather.
You'll have a wonderful time whatever you choose!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:58 AM

Good advice from ParisAmsterdam, especially for early October when the islands are past their peak. Fly to/from Santorini for 2-3 days (who can say no to such a beautiful place?), and you will still have nearly a week for the mainland. Athens itself deserves a few days, and early October is a good time to be there, with weather still pleasant but summer heat and crowds gone away. That would still leave a few days for the Peloponnese or Delphi and Meteora, but not all three.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 08:11 AM

As my name suggests I am probably biased but I have also been to both Greece and Italy on vacation. All three are very different experiences and you will have a different vacation whichever you choose. I vote for Ireland of course and the reason is that I always want to go back! Greece and Italy were great vacations too but they are on my "done" list. Ireland keeps calling though!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM

Greece. Go for the history, the weather, the food, the beach.

Ireland .. weather could be beastly
Italy... no beach! skipping Rome?
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM

All work. If you go to Italy, go south. The weather is great in the fall. Went in early Nov. one year to Rome, Sorrento, Amalfi, across the boot etc. It was perfect. Only been to Greece in April (perfect) and Ireland in July (perfect, but still wet.)