Reload this Page >

Ireland- Lodging

Search

Ireland- Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Peach

Ireland- Lodging

Here are a few of the places I'm looking into staying while in Ireland. Does anyone have any comments? Are these reasonable places to stay and/or are there any problems with them that I should be aware of? I've heard several things about the Jurys chain, that's what I'm most nervous of. Thanks for any input!<BR><BR>Peach<BR><BR>Dublin- Central Hotel<BR>Waterford- (Annestown) Annestown House<BR>Cork- Jurys Inn Cork<BR>Killarney area- The Mills Inn<BR>Limerick- Jurys Inn<BR>Galway- Jurys Inn Galway

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:20 AM
kelly

Hi,<BR>I've stayed in Jurys Inn in Cork and it was fine- it's on the quays, so it can be a little dodgy at night.<BR>I know some people who stayed in the Central Hotel in Dublin and they were very pleased with it. It's in a really good location. Jurys Inn in Dublin is in a more ropey area beside Christchurch and I've heard mixed reports about it. if you are prepared to stay a little outside dublin- on a train or bus route- you might try the Bewleys chain. I have heard evry good things about the one in Ballsbridge. <BR>Haven't heard anything about the other hotels. I have stayed in Jurys Inns in the UK and I have found them fine- like the Holiday Inn, bland and generic, but good if you just want a clean, basic room at a moderate price. <BR>hope this helps.<BR>Kelly

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:51 AM
bill

It looks like you are staying in nothing but hotels. Try some B&Bs. They are cheaper and more often than not just as nice or nicer. Plus you'll get to meet some wonderful people and have an enormous breakfast. The list of reasons to stay at B&Bs goes on and on. Dublin is the only place I've used a hotel. <BR><BR>Bill

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Peach

Annestown House and The Mills Inn are B&B's- or were the last time I heard... the only reason I've tried to avoid some B&B's is because the ones I've looked into charge per person instead of per room- and it's better for us to go per room in the long run- besides, we've never really ate large breakfasts in the past.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:04 AM
bill

Thanks for the clarification. I've always traveled as a couple, so it seems the hotels I've seen were more expensive. I don't know baout the Jury's that you've stayed at, and I seem to be the only one that states they had a pleasant stay at the Jury's Christchurch. I think it depends on your expectations. Jury's certainly won't turn down the bed and leave a mint on your pillow, but I really don't think you'll have a problem. I looked at the AA site (www.theaa.com) and they list Jury's, Galway, Limerick and Cork all as 3 star hotels.<BR><BR>Most B&Bs charge per person because they serve breakfast and obviously that is a good part of the cost. Still, I've seen very few over E30 pp which seems less expensive than most hotels of similar quality. The other interesting thing is that the price of a really nice B&B is usually about the same as a not so nice one. The worst one I ever stayed at was the most expensive. Glendalough River House by the way. Don't ever stay there!!!<BR><BR>Have Fun!!!!!<BR><BR>Bill

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:12 PM
Ann

Haven't stayed in the Jurys in Galway, but most of my friends from Northern Ireland stay there when they visit Galway, and have never heard a complaint. Bill and I differ on our views of Jurys Christchurch, but since you're not staying there, doesn't matter!<BR><BR>I've found that the quality of Jurys hotels varies widely. Some are great, others are dumps.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:05 PM
me_at_work

The Jurys in Galway City is wonderful ... right on the River Corrib, also at the bottom of Quay St, which is now pedestrians only. When I lived in Galway, I promised myself I'd stay at Jurys when I returned, and I'm glad I did ... loved it there!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Dee

Peach: I stayed 2 weeks ago at the Annestown Guest House with my husband & son. It is a lovely home, on a cliff, overlooking the water. Our room had a double bed & a single bed, a fireplace, charming country furniture, a good sized bathroom w/a "powershower", hairdryer & tea/coffee in the room. The host was kind & gracious. We enjoyed a wonderful hike along the beach. The town itself is one lane with no shops or restaurants. The host will direct you to restaurants/pubs within a reasonable driving distance. I highly recommend this place! Enjoy your trip.