Great hotels in DUBLIN?

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great hotels in DUBLIN?

Any suggestions on reasonably-priced great hotels in Dublin? Location and room more important than amenities. Any to avoid?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM

We just stayed at The Mercer which is reasonably priced, great location and the room was ok, nothing great.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I would recommed the Westbury Hotel, great location on Grafton St.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:57 PM

[I'm feeling lazy, I've cut an pasted the wording below from my reply to a very similar question I answered a minute ago. My only addition would be that it my suggestion below may not be described as "great" but it satisfies your other criteria]

I stayed at Jury's Christchurch last weekend for 2 nights. I thought the location was excellent - the only time I used any transport was to get to/from Dublin airport. It is easy to walk anywhere within the city from there.

Based on reports I had read on this site it seems that this hotel is considered very good value for the location. I had no complaints - nice room, clean and had all the amenitieies I needed. For my quick trip location was the number one factor though.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these suggestions. Has anyone tried the Jurys Inn Custom House?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:01 AM

Jurys Inn is fine as well. Also try:
Leeson Inn - Leeson Street
Harcourt Hotel Harcourt Street
Russel court Hotel Harcourt Street
Kilronan house B&B Adelaide Road,
Jury's Christchurch,
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Location-wise, I would choose The Westbury - right in the heart of the city, close to shops, Trinity College, etc. I would imagine the rooms are pretty good too. The Fitzwilliam is also in a great location, as is the Mercer.

Jurys Inn Custom House is an OK location, but you would be more in the centre of things if you chose closer to Grafton Street.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:01 AM

You may also want to check out the Bewley's Hotel in Ballsbridge. It is a beautiful old building (I think an orphanage or school) that has been converted to a nice hotel. The rooms are €99 a night (which is good for Dublin) and the hotel is located in one of the nicest areas of Dublin. You can walk into the city centre in about 20 minutes or catch a bus out in front that passes frequently. Another bonus is the Aircoach (airport transport bus) drops you right on the side of the hotel. A much cheaper option than taking a taxi! My relatives stay at this hotel whenever they come to visit me and really like it.

Have a great time in Dublin.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:34 AM

Bewleys is actually the Old British Embassy. The new one next door is quite stark and modern in comparison. It's a lovely looking building (Bewleys)
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:35 AM

What price range are you looking for? Some of them vary i.e. Fitzwilliam and westbury would be higher than Jurys. Let us know
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Siobhan provides a wealth of helpful information. I disagree about the Harcourt St. Hotel. Since the smoking ban on April 1 they have opened a "beer garden" behind the hotel. Unless you can survive with two hours sleep per night avoid it like the plague. Its furnishings are dreadful. Shame, since staff, location and price are excellent. Someone is not paying attention to the non-25 year old local programmers.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:15 AM

i stayed in the Conrad Hilton last year; they offered a special rate for the Summer, and we were all very pleased with it !
it is near green?park, and we loved the walk and the quiet location.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone had first hand experience with the Herbert Park Hotel?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Many of your respondents have offered suggestions for hotels that are on the upper end of "reasonably-priced." If you're considering those, then you have to also look into Browne's Townhouse
(www.brownesdublin.com). It's situated on Stephen's Green within a block or so of Grafton Street, easy walk to Temple Bar, Trinity College, the Liffey, Abbey Theater, etc. The service is impeccable and the room was the best of our two-week trip, which I have to say included some pretty nice places. Breakfast is served each morning in the adjoining brasserie and is wonderful. I highly recommend it for location, service and accommodations.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM

If it's a great hotel you are after, seriously consider the Merrion Square (www.merrionhotel.com) which is delightfully elegant but not stuffy. We loved our few days there.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Seamus the Merrion is beautiful but would break the bank. I would love to stay there sometime but its pretty useless because I live in the City . They do special rates in the winter but the are still very pricey.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Bayougirl, SiobhanP, and others: How are the rooms at Bewley's Hotel, and is the location in Ballsbridge an impediment to enjoying a few days in Dublin? At €99, the rates certainly seem reasonable.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:23 AM

I was able to get an 88 euro rate for Stauntons on the Green last year. The location was St. Stephens Green. I googled it and checked several websites for rates.
Sorry I can't remember which one I booked through. It was a good bed and breakfast with comfortable room. It was not posh but great for the comfort, price and GREAT for location.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I just remembered I left the booking on my email for further reference. the website is:
http://www.bookings.org/ie/hotels/stauntons
I just glanced at it and it looks like rates are 88 to 96 euros. The breakfast was good and was included.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I just returned from Dublin and spent two nights at the Brooks Hotel. It is located on a quiet street in the heart of the old city (walk to Grafton Street, Temple Bar, and Trinity College, etc in less than five mintues). It is a new hotel and the rooms while small are very comfortably appointed. The dining room and bar are very attractive. We paid 330 euros for a superior double room for two nights including full Irish Breakfast. I found Dublin to be pricey and believe this is a bargain primarily because of its location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -