Ireland Itinerary Help Needed

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary Help Needed

I will be in Cork on business for 10 days, and then Galway for 4 days. My family (spouse and four children) will be traveling with me. We have a place to stay in both Cork and Galway, but would like to travel out from there when I am not working. We will have a long weekend free when in Cork (Thursday through Sunday), so I have rented a 6-person minivan. These will be our only free days, so I have the following thoughts on what to do:

Accommodations: Thursday and Friday night: Stay in Dingle Saturday night: Stay ?

Thursday: Drive from Cork to either Dingle or Ring of Kerry. See ROK or Dingle Peninsula. Friday: ROK or Dingle Peninsula Saturday: ?

Would like to see Kinsale perhaps, and other places. I am having a hard time planning the itinerary because this is our first time to Ireland, so I don't have a feel for what exactly to see, travel times, etc. As you can see, I need some major advice!!

When we are in Galway, I will have one free day that we can use for sightseeing. Of course, I would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, etc.

Thanks!

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

topping please
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone provide suggestions?
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM

My only suggestion would be that you might want to see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren on your way to or from Galway. Then you could use the free day in Galway for something else, such as a drive to Connemara.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM

One other suggestion...I just noticed that when I clicked on Ireland next to the search box, your post didn't come up. You might want to try posting again and this time, up at the top, where it gives you a chance to do so, scroll down and click on Ireland. Some people only look at the posts that come up when you search "Ireland". That may be why you haven't gotten more responses.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM

A possible itinerary for your consideration:
Thursday - Drive from Cork to Dingle. Stay in Dingle.

Friday - Tour Slea Head and as much of the Dingle Peninsula as time allows. Stay in Dingle.

Saturday - Drive to Kenmare via Killarney. See a bit of Killarney National Park. Stay in Kenmare.

Sunday - Tour either the Ring of Kerry or the Beara Peninsula. Return to Cork for the night.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

CAPH52 and Tim--Thank you for the responses. I think that I will repost and click on "Ireland" (good suggestion). One clarification--we will be traveling with a group from Cork to Galway, so will not be able to plan any stops along the way. The group may stop somewhere, but I do not know the plans as of now, so I am not counting on that day to see the things that we may want to see.

With that in mind, any other thoughts on our free three days?
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No need to re-post -- ALL threads end up on the same forum -- "Europe"

This one is just fine - if you post again it will be in exactly the same place as this one . . . . . .
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Oops - too late. I see you just re-posted. oh well.

(BTW - when we recommend a new thread it is usually when the title is too vague, like "Need help w/ itinerary". "Ireland Itinerary Help Needed" is perfectly OK.)
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM

janisj, the reason I recommended that Tracy re-post, as I said earlier, is that I've noticed that there are people who come to the Europe board and immediately hit the search function. As you know, posts sink quickly on this board (much faster than they do on the US board). And even people who do take a quick look may not see it. But if it's been "marked" so that someone who does a search of Ireland will find it, the poster is more likely to get responses.

Yes, everything goes onto the Europe board. But unless the poster clicks Ireland, it's not going to come up when a reader goes only to Ireland posts. Either that, or something was out of whack when Tracy posted the first time. Because that post did not come up when I searched "Ireland".
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM

CAPH52: "searching" Ireland and "clicking" Ireland are two different things.

If you do a search for Ireland - you will get some, but not all, Ireland threads

And - if you click on Ireland - you will also get some, but not all, Ireland threads. - - - and not necessarily the same threads using both functions.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM

janisj, not to nitpick, but it says "search" right next to where you "click" Ireland. And my point is that many people who are interested only in Ireland go immediately to Ireland posts. As nearly as I can tell, a post will not show up there if the poster didn't "click" on Ireland when posting. And that is why I suggested to tracy that re-posting might be helpful.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM

CAPH52: That is what I was trying to explain - if you put Ireland in the "search" box you will get some of the threads about Ireland - but not nearly all of them. The search function on this forum is pretty inadquate. So if you've just been searching for Ireland, or clicking on Ireland, you have missed many threads.

tracy: sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. TimS's itinerary is quite good. Try to stay at least two nights in one location - packing and moving every morning is a pain.