ireland itinerary for june 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about flying into Dublin on 6/12 and out of Shannon on 6/19.
I would like to see Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, Killarney and Bunratty. Do I need to stay overnight in Kilkenny or just see the sights on the way to Cork? I'm hoping to see the Rock of Cashel, Cliffs of Moher and The Burren. Too aggressive?
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 04:50 AM

That is quite a lot to see in just 7 days. One thing we were surprised about was how long it took to get from place to place. They may look very close on the map, but the twisty, narrow, dirt roads do not make for a quick drive! Also, there's all the stopping you'll do to take photos of the breathtaking views. Of what you've listed Dublin, Killarney (particularly the Ring of Kerry, Ladies View, Muckross House), and the Cliffs of Moher are a must.
Ireland is magical... enjoy!!!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Agree with MyDreamTrip in the sense that your itinerary could be a bit ambitious bearing in mind you'll want to spend time in each location.

Recommend a few days in Dublin to take in the top sights, at least a day in Kilkenny and then split the rest of your time between Cork city and perhaps West Cork before making your way over to do the Ring of Kerry and taking a few days around Killarney.

Then as you make your way back up to Shannon you could take a day at the Cliffs of Moher & The Burren with a quick stop off at Bunratty as you head for Shannon Airport as Bunratty is a short drive from the airport!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the help! I was wondering about the driving part of it. That makes me nervous!
I always try to jam so much into a trip, then I spend my time running instead of enjoying.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I can't let go of my aggressive itinerary!
Check it out...
June 12- arrive in Dublin. Tour around a little.
June 13- Dublin
June 14- drive to Rock of Cashel then over to Kilkenny. See sights, spend night.
June 15- Drive to Blarney Castle then to Cork.
June 16-explore Cork some more and drive to Kenmare, Killarney. Spend night in Kenmare.
June 17-drive some of the ring of kerry and on to Bunratty.
spend night in Bunratty.
June 18- Drive to The Burren and Cliffs of Moher. Back to Bunratty
June 19- fly home from Shannon
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Just a few observations on your itinerary.

Cashel is on the direct Dublin-Cork road; you would be backtracking a little by taking in Kilkenny.

Kenmare may look close to Killarney but the road is quite tricky to drive. I would confine the driving to Cork to Kenmare and you can explore Killarney en route north the next day.

If you felt the need to explore Killarney, Kenmare plus the Ring of Kerry, then you would need to travel Cork - Killarney-Kenmare (overnight)- Ring of Kerry then onward to the Tarbert/Killimer ferry that gets you into County Clare.

From Killimer, I would forget about Bunratty and make for the Burren area if you weren't overtired from what will be a long day's driving.

When travelling from Cork to Kerry, try to make some time to see Gougane Barra en route.