14 days Ireland -- post 2 w/ itinerary

Jan 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

14 days Ireland -- post 2 w/ itinerary

Thank you to those who answered my 1st post re: Ireland & N. Ireland in a 2 week trip. I put together a rough itinerary WITH N. Ireland.

Any feedback on what I'm fitting in/ missing/ could skip would be appreciated. I know it's ambitious, but we're fairly active and I planned 3 days in Dingle as a "break." I'm fairly comfortable up to Dingle, but open to itinerary changes esp. after there. Specifically,

1) recommendations for a town to stay in in N. Ireland (not Belfast)?

2) alternatives to the towns currently planned as overnighters?

3) must see places in Connemara, or would you skip Connemara for more time in N. Ireland (or around Galway)?

4) how are time allotments in general?

May 26 – 27 Dublin (2 nights)
Trinity College, Grafton St, Nat’l Museum, pubs, shopping, Guiness, Kilmainham Gaol

May 28 – Powerscourt, Wicklow Mtns, Glendalough (sleep Kilkenny—1 night);
About 3 hrs driving

May 29 – Cashel, Killarney Nat’l Park (sleep Dingle--3 nights) -5 hrs driving

May 30 – June 1– Dingle (3 nights) Bike around Pennisula, relax

June 1 -- Dingle to Galway via Moher, Doolin/ small towns, Burren – (Galway 2 nights) -- 5 hrs. driving, but lots of sights along the way

June 2 Galway, Aaran Islands (1 day relax in Galway; 1 day Aaran; Inishmore

June 4 – Galway to Westport (explore Connemara) (sleep Westport)
(5 hrs driving, but many stops)
Cong, Kylemore Valley (Killary cruise?), Croagh Patrick

June 5 – Westport to Derry or Portrush (2 nights)-- 2 hrs driving; Derry?? Dunlance Castle, Bushmills, Giant's Causeway (if time), rope bridge

June 6 -- Giant’s Causeway (or June 5), Antrim coast, Glens of Antrim

June 7 – back to Dublin; via Belfast?; Newgrange??; sleep near Dublin airport?

June 8 – depart Dublin about 3 pm

Jan 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM

I suggest you take a look at Melissa5's trip report here. She drove from Westport to Bushmills in Northern Ireland and it took her the entire day not 2 hours! Your driving times may be optimistic.

I think you need more time in Northern Ireland. Did you realize that if you did Dublin at the end you would only have to spend two nights there instead of three?
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM

More info. This is the title of the trip report you should be looking at:

100 KISSES in Matt Malloys Pub: IRELAND in July from Dingle to Bushmills
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:34 AM

It sounds like you've pulled driving times from some of the mapping sites (viamichelin, AA etc). They are usually too conservative especially for someone new to driving in Ireland. For instance, three hours of driving to Kilkenny from Dublin while taking in Powerscourt, Glendalough and the Wicklow mtns is a stretch at best. Westport to Derry in 2 hours would mean that you probably will have to average the speed limit or more.

1) recommendations for a town to stay in in N. Ireland (not Belfast)?
- I've stayed near Ballycastle and in Cushendun. Both were nice and I had some great views out to the sea.

2) alternatives to the towns currently planned as overnighters?
- Choices are ok. I like to stay at The Shores when in Dingle which is on the north coast. Very quiet and relaxing with wonderful views and a wondeerful B&B. Hard to beat for comfort.

3) must see places in Connemara, or would you skip Connemara for more time in N. Ireland (or around Galway)?
- You're not really spending much time there anyway, for the most part, you are just driving through. See what you can.

4) how are time allotments in general?
- too short IMO

May 26 – 27 Dublin (2 nights)
Trinity College, Grafton St, Nat’l Museum, pubs, shopping, Guiness, Kilmainham Gaol
- This is fine.

May 28 – Powerscourt, Wicklow Mtns, Glendalough (sleep Kilkenny—1 night);
About 3 hrs driving
- You can get this done, but the driving will take longer. That's a full day of tourism and so you will have dinner in Kilkenny and then leave the next morning. Kilkenny is a great medieval town which you will see very little of, but that's really just a choice you make.

May 29 – Cashel, Killarney Nat’l Park (sleep Dingle--3 nights) -5 hrs driving
- This is doable, you can at least say you've seen Killarney National Park. You won't get much exploring in though.

May 30 – June 1– Dingle (3 nights) Bike around Pennisula, relax
- fine -- great!

June 1 -- Dingle to Galway via Moher, Doolin/ small towns, Burren – (Galway 2 nights) -- 5 hrs. driving, but lots of sights along the way
- You will se what you can see on the way. It's a full day of tourism again but it can be done.

June 2 Galway, Aaran Islands (1 day relax in Galway; 1 day Aaran; Inishmore
- Not sure if you are planning to stay overnight on Inishmore. It's a very nice option especially sonce the crowds will be pretty heavy that weekend as it is the June bank holiday weekend. You would want to book right away. Inishmore is lovely after the boats have gone back to the mainland. Consider the option of flying from Inverin which is actually a bit closer than Rossaveal. It's a 10 minute flight. It will give you more time to tour.

June 4 – Galway to Westport (explore Connemara) (sleep Westport)
(5 hrs driving, but many stops)
Cong, Kylemore Valley (Killary cruise?), Croagh Patrick
- Pretty sure you won't be able to see everything you want in this area unless you mean to just drive through them. If you take the road to Louisburgh from Leenane, you will drive right past Croagh Patrick. I stayed at a little B&B at the base of Croagh Patrick which I liked very much (Tighbeag). The view to the bay is wonderful. Again, start making tose reservation for this weekend.

June 5 – Westport to Derry or Portrush (2 nights)-- 2 hrs driving; Derry?? Dunlance Castle, Bushmills, Giant's Causeway (if time), rope bridge
- This day is probably not possible. Westport to Derry is much farther than Galway to Westport and you've allotted 2.5 times the drinving time for the latter. I may be possible to get the driving done in 3 hours, but that's all driving and no stopping on just the main roads.Presaumably the bypass around Sligo is complete, so that should help a lot. Bushmills requires a couple of hours, Dunluce Castle is probably the shortest stop, but figure an hour, Giants Causway is at least a couple of hours and 1.5 - 2 hours at least for Carrick-a-Rede. That is of course, ignoring some interesting things to do in Derry.

June 6 -- Giant’s Causeway (or June 5), Antrim coast, Glens of Antrim
- You will probably be better off doing some of those things that you missed on this day. You may get to see a Glen (not plural) of Antrim. Glenariff is a a good choice and there is a nice approx 2 hour circular walk up through the falls.

June 7 – back to Dublin; via Belfast?; Newgrange??; sleep near Dublin airport?
- It is unlikely that you will be able to see Newgrange starting from north of Belfast. The tours tend to sell out early and if you arrive much after noon, they may very likely be sold out for the day.

Generally, you are right, this is very ambitious. Setting Dingle aside, this is a bit of a green blur tour which can be done, but wouldn't be my choice. Ireland is best enjoyed at a slow pace but others may disagree. I will say that, for the most part, it is not impossible.

Things to keep in mind. Breakfast rarely begins before 8 at a B&B and so you can figure that you will rarely leave before 9. It is unwritten courtesy (though some B&Bs require it) that you check in between approx 4 and 6 PM. Late evening arrivals are not appropriate. You may, if you want to keep this schedule, consider hotels which will usually have more flexible schedules allowing later check in and early departure.

I hope this helps a bit.

Bill