Reload this Page >

2 week Ireland itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Jill

My husband and I are in the initial phase of planning a 2 week Ireland vacation. We were thinking of flying into Shannon and out of Dublin. I'm really overwhelmed with the potential places to visit and how long to stay at each place. We were thinking of driving. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for us as we plan?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!! And I'm sorry for such a broad question. I've looked at previous posts and was unable to find a 2-week itinerary.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jill

Oh, we not really interested in going to Northern Ireland.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:48 PM
cd

Hi Jill<BR>I will just tell you our favorite places in Ireland. Doolin - great pubs (Clifs of Moher are nearby) Connamara (wonderful, wonderful scenery!) The city life of Galway and you can take a ferry from there to the Aran Islands. Dromoland Castle, a great 5 star hotel that was a real castle. The Dingle Peninsula driving Conor Pass and Slea Head Drive, the most beautiful scenery we encountered! Kinsale, Cobh, and Cahir. My advice is to be sure you have full coverage auto insurance. We only had $1000 deductable and ended up paying $500 in car damages. The roads are very narrow and you are driving on the opposite side so your judgement is off some. We hit many pot holes (ruining a tire and rim) and someone else cracked our windshild and you are responible for any damage to the car. We also flew into Shannon and out of Dublin but we enjoyed the countryside much more than the city. Have fun!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:56 PM
hg

Jill - the Dingle Peninsula is spectacular. I personally didn't have any problems with car damage but I know that a lot of people do simply because of how narrow the roads are. If you like pubs Dirty Nelly's at Bunratty castle is awesome. Great pint.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:17 AM
mike

Jill.<BR>We did a two week trip to Ireland last year. This was our itinerary, I feel it was a good one. We had a great time, wish we cuold have stayed longer!<BR><BR>Day 1 ( June 16 ) Saturday<BR>Arrive Dublin airport (via London ) mid day . Take taxi to hotel (Kilronan House , tel . 01-475-5266 ) , have lunch<BR>, then do the Dublin City hop on - hop off tour ( without getting off, to get an over view of the city for the next days<BR>exploration).<BR>Day 2 ( June 17 ) Sunday<BR>Explore Dublin.<BR><BR>Day 3 ( June 18 ) Monday<BR>Pick up rental car and head for county Wicklow. Visit Powerscourt and Mount Usher Gardens , the Wicklow<BR>mountains, etc. End days journey in Avoca ( Sheepwalk House, tel. 0402-35189 ).<BR><BR>Day 4 ( June 19 ) Tuesday <BR>Travel from Avoca to Kilkenny ( visit Kilkenny Castle , St.Canice’s Cathedral ) , continue to Cashel. (see the Rock<BR>of Cashel ). Spend night in Cashel (Legends Guesthouse, tel. 062-61292 ).<BR> <BR>Day 5 ( June 20 ) Wednesday<BR>Travel from Cashel to Kenmare ( Sea Shore Farm Guesthouse, 3 nights, tel. 064-41270 ) . Remainder of day<BR>spend exploring Killarney area.<BR>Day 6 ( June 21 ) Thursday<BR>Travel to Bantry and Beara Peninsula.<BR>Day 7 ( June 22 ) Friday <BR>Ring of Kerry and possible Skellig boat tour.<BR><BR>Day 8 ( June 23 ) Saturday<BR>Travel to Dingle Peninsula ( Greenmount House, 2 nights, tel. 066-91-51414 ). Explore Dingle and peninsula.<BR>Day 9 ( June 24 ) Sunday<BR> Continue exploration of area.<BR><BR>Day 10 ( June 25 ) Monday<BR>Travel from Dingle to Doolin ( Cullinan’s Guesthouse, tel. 065-7074183 ) by way of the Shannon Ferry . Take in<BR>the cliffs of Moher on the way.<BR><BR>Day 11 ( June 26 ) Tuesday<BR>Take the morning Doolin Ferry to Inishmore , return about 4:30. Travel to Clifden ( The Quay House , 2 nights<BR>tel. 095-21369 ).<BR>Day 12 ( June 27 ) Wednesday<BR>Explore area ( Kylemore Abbey ) etc..<BR><BR>Day 13 ( June 28 ) Thursday<BR>Travel from Clifden to Shannon ( Shannon Great Southern Hotel, Tel: 061 471122 , conf. # 5021286). Explore<BR>area ( Bunratty Castle , etc. ) .<BR> <BR>Day 14 (June 29 ) Friday<BR>Depart Shannon airport 7:40 am. <BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Jill

Jill, I am also planning a 2 wk trip ... by reading these posts and performing other searches - I have found LOADS of info and helpful hints. I do a copy & paste function for info I want to keep to help plan. One website I learned about here is viamichelin.com ... it not only provides miles/kilometers between locations, but approximate driving times. Also - you may want to try the library for some great books on Ireland.