Reload this Page >

Help on Ireland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Buddy

I am planning a 2 week trip to Ireland in Sept. or Oct. Any advice on an itinerary and places to stay? Flying into Shannon.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 12:43 AM
mike

Ireland Itinerary<BR><BR>Day 1 ( June 16 ) Saturday<BR>Arrive Dublin airport (via London ) mid day . Take taxi to hotel (Kilronan House , tel . 01-475-5266 ) , have lunch<BR>, then do the Dublin City hop on - hop off tour ( without getting off, to get an over view of the city for the next days<BR>exploration).<BR>Day 2 ( June 17 ) Sunday<BR>Explore Dublin.<BR><BR>Day 3 ( June 18 ) Monday<BR>Pick up rental car and head for county Wicklow. Visit Powerscourt and Mount Usher Gardens , the Wicklow<BR>mountains, etc. End days journey in Avoca ( Sheepwalk House, tel. 0402-35189 ).<BR><BR>Day 4 ( June 19 ) Tuesday <BR>Travel from Avoca to Kilkenny ( visit Kilkenny Castle , St.Canice’s Cathedral ) , continue to Cashel. (see the Rock<BR>of Cashel ). Spend night in Cashel (Legends Guesthouse, tel. 062-61292 ).<BR> <BR>Day 5 ( June 20 ) Wednesday<BR>Travel from Cashel to Kenmare ( Sea Shore Farm Guesthouse, 3 nights, tel. 064-41270 ) . Remainder of day<BR>spend exploring Killarney area.<BR>Day 6 ( June 21 ) Thursday<BR>Travel to Bantry and Beara Peninsula.<BR>Day 7 ( June 22 ) Friday <BR>Ring of Kerry and possible Skellig boat tour.<BR><BR>Day 8 ( June 23 ) Saturday<BR>Travel to Dingle Peninsula ( Greenmount House, 2 nights, tel. 066-91-51414 ). Explore Dingle and peninsula.<BR>Day 9 ( June 24 ) Sunday<BR> Continue exploration of area.<BR><BR>Day 10 ( June 25 ) Monday<BR>Travel from Dingle to Doolin ( Cullinan’s Guesthouse, tel. 065-7074183 ) by way of the Shannon Ferry . Take in<BR>the cliffs of Moher on the way.<BR><BR>Day 11 ( June 26 ) Tuesday<BR>Take the morning Doolin Ferry to Inishmore , return about 4:30. Travel to Clifden ( The Quay House , 2 nights<BR>tel. 095-21369 ).<BR>Day 12 ( June 27 ) Wednesday<BR>Explore area ( Kylemore Abbey ) etc..<BR><BR>Day 13 ( June 28 ) Thursday<BR>Travel from Clifden to Shannon ( Shannon Great Southern Hotel, Tel: 061 471122 . Explore<BR>area ( Bunratty Castle , etc. ) .<BR> <BR>Day 14 (June 29 ) Friday<BR>Depart Shannon airport 7:40 am. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Bill

Mike:<BR><BR>Great itinerary! make sure you hit Glendalough while in Wicklow. The drive from Avoca to Glendalough is beautiful, especially the Vale of Clara.<BR><BR>The drive from Doolin to Clifden will take a while. I think it's about two hours from Galway. On the ring of Beara road, look for the turn off to the Inchaquin waterfall. It's spectacular, especially after a rain.<BR><BR>My wife and I found that when you wake up in the morning and the B&B isn't ready to serve breakfast (they seem to like to serve not much earlier than 8:00), that you can get out and see some things in the early morning light that can be spectacular and then have a relaxed 8:30 or 9:00 breakfast. That's when we saw Glendalough, and it was beautiful. We were the only people there.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Mike

Thanks for the help on my itinerary. Thanks also to Bill for his input.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Lillie Harty

I do not think that Mount Usher Garden deserves a place unless you are very interested in gardens.Put "Wicklow" into google.com for other choices and pictures of Wicklow.It is a wonderful place to spend a day.By the way it is the name of a town and also of the county.