Ireland for two twenty-somethings

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually writing this post for my daughter and her boyfriend who will be in Ireland for six days in late July. They are both students, in their early twenties, and definitely on a budget.

They will arrive in Dublin, plan to stay at a hostel there, and hope to see a few places in the country while they are there. Among them - the Cliffs of Moher and Limerick.

This is the first time they have been to Ireland, so any suggestions for good places to stay, tours, or budget enhancing ideas would be especially welcome. What are some not-to-be-missed things to do in and near Dublin?

After their stay in Ireland, they are going to fly to Berlin to visit friends there --- they have open-jaw tickets to fly into Dublin and out of Frankfurt. What would be the best cheap airline to use for the one-way flight from Dublin to Berlin? Have heard that Ryan Air is no longer the best way to go, with all the added surcharges for just about everything.
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM

This website is great for figuring out which low-cost carriers fly where in Europe: http://www.low-cost-airline-guide.com. It's not coming up with any that fly directly between Dublin and Berlin, but they could fly Germanwings (www.germanwings.com) from Dublin to Leipzig and take a train from there (about two hours). I'm not sure how cheap the flights on Germanwings will be though because it's getting somewhat close to July now, and they're not as dirt cheap a carrier as RyanAir or Easyjet. But I do agree with you about them regarding the surcharges. If you're not experienced flying those airlines, it's easy to get yourself (and wallet) into trouble by carrying too much. Hope this helps!
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Hi Scdreamer, One of the easier ways to get around Ireland is to use the Bus Service. www.buseireann.ie

I know there is a direct bus route from Dublin to Limerick that then goes on to Doolin. Doolin is a good base to visit the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands.

Doolin has a number of Hostels and lots of Bed and Breakfasts.
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Why Limerick?
Limerick City has King John's Castle and the Treaty Stone, the Hunt Museum and not much else, unless you are into Frank McCourt's books: there was an Angela's Ashes from the ITB Office at Arthur's Quay at 2:00PM most days. Much of what Frank McCourt wrote has been debunked (some by his brother) so I don't know if the tour is still running.

For two 20-somethings, Galway might be a better destination. BusEireann actually operates several daytrips from Galway's main Bus/Rail Station (including the Cliffs of Moher) during the Summer.

Citylink ( www.citylink.ie ) has hourly, direct Bus Service from Dublin airport (and the City) to Galway's new Coach Station on Fairgreen Rd., and there are literally hundreds of B&B's on College Road and Father Griffin Rd. in Galway.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:44 AM

That's an Angela's Ashes guided walking tour I referred to in Limerick City.

In Dublin, there are several B&B's on Lower Gardiner Street just above BusAras. Some are good; others are not so good.

They might be interested in a Paddywagon 3-day all-inclusive tour since they will only be in Ireland 6-days total www.PaddywagonTours.com Such a Tour should take them everywhere they want to go, except perhaps Limerick City
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - I have passed the word to them regarding Galway.

They had already found the paddywagon tours site on their own, and are thinking a three or four day tour with them would be affordable and would give them a chance to meet other travelers.

Oh, to be 23 years old again! So much fun traveling on a shoestring ...