Can it be done in a week and a half?

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can it be done in a week and a half?

I'm having a terrible time planning the Irish leg of my very first European trip. There are so many beautiful places...can it be done in a week and a half? Any advice on which are the best counties/towns to see? Much appreciated
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Check out Karen's Trip Report. Yes, it can be "done", what you should be consideribg is HOW MUCH you can do in a week and a half...
What time of year?
How many people?
What are your interests?
Can you fly into Shannon and then out of Dublin (or vice versa)?
Self-drive? Hotels, Castles or B&Bs?
Where are you coming from before, and going to, after?
Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Limmerick, Tipperary, Wicklow, Meath, Dublin, Mayo, Donnegal, Sligo, Northern Ireland -in order of importance (to ME). Your answers to the above questions will affect YOUR priorities.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I've read some trip reports now, Itallian and Karen's have been quite helpful, let me post some answers to the last few questions.

The Irish leg of my trip will be next July, I'll be alone, I'll be taking the ferry into Dublin from London unless I find a more efficient route, and I can fly out of Dublin or Shannon (Ireland will be my last stop...I'd love to do Scotland but I'd probably starve!).

I am a student, I will be 18...I know a lot of people have told me to go the hostel route, but the thought of it scares me a little. I think I'd rather stick to B&Bs, if they are not too expensive.

I'm using the trains to tour Italy, France, and England, but from what I've researched so far the rail network in Ireland isn't as extensive there as it is in the rest of Europe. But I'm only 18...so from what I've heard I won't be able to rent a car (although I heard something about leasing...?). So can I rely on trains or buses to get me where I want to go? This is the sketchiest part of my trip...but also Ireland is the most gorgeous (from what I've seen in pictures!) and I am most excited about it!! So I'm scared to leave the train thing up to chance.

Some places I have in my itinerary are Kildare, Wicklow, Waterford, Cork, Clare (Cliffs of Moher, Burren), Kerry (Dingle, Dunmore), and Limerick (Ennis, Bunratty Castle). I also would love to see parts of N.Ireland like Londonderry and the Causeway Coast, but don't know if it is worth going so far out of my way. Also, I don't know if I should stop in Limerick and fly out of the Shannon, or if it's worth it to see Galway and Mayo and the Western counties and make a full circle back to fly out of Dublin.

Anyway, I know this has been a really long post, but whatever advice you all could give would be greatly appreciated...from what I've seen you are all very knowledgeable!! Thanks for whatever help you can offer. - Lauren
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Ireland is famous for its hostels. That being said, I personally prefer B&Bs, but you would definitely need to book ahead, for a single, in July. Expect to pay about 50 euro per night, and between double and triple THAT, in Dublin city center.
Trains will get you to all the major 'cities', but you would have to rely upon buses to take you to many of the desireable tourist towns and attractions like the Cliffs of Moher will require buying in to a tour bus on a day trip.
Irish rail has some great day trip options to places like that (Galway by train, then dedicated bus to Burren and Cliffs) that are very resonably priced. There are also great day tours (by bus) to Avoca, Glendalough, Newgrange and Tara, both full and half-day, running out of Dublin.
Go to the Bord Failte websight and check out the 'Getting Around' section, for more ideas.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM

I'm not sure about Bunratty but Shannon and Ennis are in Co. Clare. Late July you might target Miltown Malbay (also in Clare, near Lahinch and the Cliffs of Moher) for Willie Clancy's Irish step-dancing Competitions and Master Classes.

You may want to look into PaddyWagon (inclusive) tours. They operate out of Dublin and they have a website. Do a search on Paddywagon tours. In July, B&B's can get expensive for a person travelling solo: they're usually priced PPS (per person sharing, about 35 Euro each) and some will charge you a single supplement.

Ennis is equally convenient to Shannon airport as Limerick City: the first bus from Ennis is 8:35 AM; the first from Limerick City is 7:45 AM.

If you'll have a pretty firm itinerary mapped out well in advance, you might be better off flying RyanAir to London (Stanstead or Gatwick). The prices sometimes start as low as one UK Pound and increase as time before the flight date decreases. Try to not exceed their weight allowance.

In May of '03 I flew into Shannon, took BusEireann to Galway (via Ennis) for lunch; got another bus to Ballina (Co. Mayo) and arrived there around 3:00 PM. Another trip I took BusEireann out to Connemara from Galway. There's a bus to Galway from Shannon around 9:30 AM.

Slainte!