Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Input please...afternoon in Chur vs extra time in Bologna..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano, making our way to Bologna for an overnight stay to pick up a car rental. Originally we were going to arrive early in Chur with the remainder of the day exploring the city. If I alter the plans slightly I can arrive in Chur late in he day allowing me an extra night in Bologna - giving me 1 1/2 days there. This is our fourth trip to Italy, never to Bologna. It's our first trip to Switzerland.

I realize I'm not talking about any significant amount of time, however I would love to hear your thoughts.....take the afternoon for Chur or the extra time in Bologna.

Thank you for any response.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I should add we are not going directly from Tirano to Bologna.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bologna deserves a day of walking around the arcades.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...ith/4200859067

Besides, it is known for its food, so the extra time there means extra good meals to be had.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

September, which I know is trade show time in Bologna. I have checked into hotels there and right now availability isn't a problem.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM

We liked this place:

http://www.miramonte-bologna.it/index.php
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM

I think Bologna is not *that* different from what you've seen on your previous trips in Italy. Switzerland is.

However, why staying in Chur? I would head straight to the Engadin from Chur and stay overnight there. Very beautiful Alpine scenery - Pontresina comes to my mind, Samedan, Celerina, even St. Moritz. You could explore the area a bit in the morning (maybe walk around the lake in St. Moritz, which is right by the train station; or you could take the funicular up to Corviglia for the views) and continue with the train trip to Tirano later.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:10 AM

I don't know where you have been travelfan1 and perhaps Ingo does, but if you have been to Rome, the Amalfi, the Italian Riviera, the Italian Lakes, Trieste, the Piemonte, Puglia, Sicily or Sardegna, then Bologna is going to surprise you. And its pasta is like nothing else in Italy, unless you've been someplace else in the Emilia-Romagna. And if you have been to the Italian lakes, the Valle d'Aosta, the Trention, the Julian Alps or Alta Adige, Switzerland isn't all that different, except the food and wine isn't as good.

But in some ways I feel like this is a guessing game, travelfan1, since unless you've posted your itinerary elsewhere and I'm just coming late to this, nobody knows where you are coming from and where you are going to on this trip, how long you are traveling overall, what you hope to experience in this trip and what you like to do when you travel.

I've never been to Chur, so I can't compare, even moreso because I don't know what you enjoy. (I am wondering also how many people giving you advice have been to both places and what they enjoy. Surely it is coloring their advice to you).

I also don't know how much you know about Bologna and what is attracting you to go there other than that you haven't seen it before.

So little information, I'm surprised anybody is rendering an opinion on what you should do.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:46 AM

I'll have to speak up for Chur. We were there several years ago as a starting point for the Bernina Express to Tirano and back.

We found it a charming place with painted houses and pretty views.

We also loved Bologna (not the same trip).
Have a wonderful trip.

Byrd