Info. on Caceres

May 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Info. on Caceres

I'm travelling to Caceres and Trujillo in a few weeks. Does anyone know of a small turist apartment I can rent while I'm there? I've never visited this area so any opinions are welcomed. I will be staying two months in efforts to teach my 5 year old Spanish. Also if you are aware of any summer programs for children this age- maybe this is too much to ask! Thanks,
May 3rd, 2003, 08:28 PM

Ho Dalila, We have stayed both in Trujillo and Caceres and loved both places. Only for short periods.
I believe that Summers are very hot.
We stayed at the Parador in Caceres very nice inside the Ciudad Monunmental , and in Trujillo in a charming 3 stars hotel that could have had at least 4 stars. The Hotel Victoria.
The Victoria has a garden and a pool, however the pool was closed when we were there (May 2002) and I have the feeling you and your son are going to love one during the Summer.
These are the phones : Hotel Victoria, 927 32 18 19
we paid aprox. 60 euros.
Parador Caceres, 927 21 17 59;
I heard of an inexpensive two stars
the Hotel Iberia, in an old mansion,
from the XVII century, all rooms different from each other,
but never stayed there. 927 24 76 34
May 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Graziella I will make sure to look into your suggestions. It's reassuring to know that both Trujillo and Caceres are nice. It's very intimidating to think I'll be spending such an extended period there. I live in Florida so the heat is part of my life here, hopefully I will find a place with AC. Thanks again, Dalila
May 4th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Hi Dalila, I also live in Florida, but I am sorry to say, the SUmmer is probably harder in Extremadura. Remember it is in the middle of Spain, here at least I live in front of the Ocean. So check well the weather conditions, not every thing there has ac, I believe the Victoria Hotel has ac.
May 7th, 2003, 12:14 AM

Hi Dalila,
Cáceres is an student town, and during winter there are many young people from all over Spain staying there and renting flats. The exams finish during July, but it is possible that you could find an apartment to rent. Most of them are rented privately, but you can check at this site : http://www.pisocaceres.com/

The University of Extremadura has some interesting summer courses, you can check them at http://www2.unex.es/verano

I don't think that there will be any special course for children so young. Cáceres is not such a big place. Here you have a list of language schools in Extremadura, they might be able to help you http://www.infoidiomas.com/academiasextremadura.htm

The heat during summer is extremely strong and dry, and most of the apartments have AC, although the small hotels usually don't have it.

The Hotel Iberia is really lovely, situated just around the corner from the Plaza Mayor. It is a house from the beginning of the century, and you walk up the stairs and go across what used to be the apartments doors in order to get to your room. Every room is different, and the owners are really nice ... but there isn't AC, and believe me, you will need it.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay.

Cova
May 8th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Dear Cova and Graziella, Now I am panic struck that perhaps extremadura wasn't a good choice in the summer. Cova I am going to check the web sites you gave me. If any of you know a more suitable place for me to visit that has a plaza, people, and not alot of tourist please let me know. My purpose is to make sure my son is immersed in the language so I am open to any location. I avoided Barcelona because the Catalan may be perferred over castellano. If you all have any ideas please let me know and thanks for the replies you both seem very knowlegeable. Dalila
May 9th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Hi Dalila, I hope I can help you out, I understand you perfectly, I think Cova certainly could help you out much better.
During the Summer it seems to me that any place with a milder weather would do.
I am writing this hoping it will go to the top and Cova or Maribel if she is back can help out.
Buena suerte, great idea to go to Spain , you will find the righ place.
( I changed my email and had to chenge my screen name)
May 11th, 2003, 09:34 AM

Hi Dalila,
I have been speaking during the weekend with my friends in Caceres ( btw, this weekend was the WOMAD festival there, I am so sorry of having missed it http://www.bme.es/womad/2003b/index.html ).
They say that if you don't mind the heat, you could be able to find a small apartment, but from July on (the students don't leave the town until the end of June). If you read spanish, this link could help you out to contact any agency ( http://www.caceresjoven.com/paginas/.../princ_inm.asp ) You should know that a/a means AC.

They don't know of any special course for young children, and they told me that if you are really interested on that, you might be better off in Salamanca. There are many language schools there, and also the accent is much better than the Extremadura one.

And ... why don't you think of moving up north? I think that Cantabria or Asturias would be quite good for you and your child?

Kind regards,
Cova
May 11th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Dear Cova, That's for contacting your friends-I really appreciate it- the information is very helpful. I have been looking into Llanes and Ribasellos in Asturias as per your suggestion. It appears that this is where the Spaniards vacation. I'm looking into an affordable apt.there as well. The literature I read says it might be difficult due to vacationers. Graziella gave me some web sights to research. Since Julian is 5years old I think he would be fine in learning the language while playing with other children-this is the reason I wanted to be in a town where people go out in the evening to the plaza. Or maybe a preschool setting with other Spanish children might work. Do you have any thoughts on this? Also if you have any other ideas on where to go and visit let me know. It's been 10 years since I last went to Spain so I'm sure much has changed. Thanks for all your insight. Dalila
May 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I agree re going north. Llanes seemed to be a friendly place. Another similar place that I will go back to is Luarca. Similar size, on the coast, etc. San Sebastian would on the suface seem a good idea but probably too crowded in the summer. As you are looking for an apartment however, you might be just fine out of the downtown tourist area.
May 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Its so great to run across people familiar with Extremadura. I haven't been there [yet] and would appreciate suggestions for intinerary for a week or ten days. Like the "sights" but the smaller towns and people are more limportant to me. "Old" man, solo, w/ car. Also any knowledge of "tourist" Spanish schools in the area? [1/2 day classes, stay with a local family, etc.] This is my usual mode in Spain. Two weeks of classes and two weeks traveling. Thanks!