Caceres Yes or No

May 9th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Caceres Yes or No

I continue to hear that Caceres may be too hot in the summer. Can anyone suggest a town that is not tourist crowded, where I can walk to a plaza so that my son, Julian can be immersed in the language for 2 months?
Thanks, Dalila
May 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Dalila,
I've had students who have studied in Caceres in the summer (with the Experiment in International Living), but it really wouldn't be my first choice due to the intense, scorching heat. Extremadura and the Portuguese Alentejo next door are best avoided from June through Aug.

Have you considered beautiful, green Northern Spain, particularly Asturias? Ribadesella, my new favorite Asturian coastal town, comes to mind (or it could easily be Luarca or Llanes, as well). I've met several American families who summer there because spouses are from the region and they take the children to visit the grandparents and to practice and perfect their Spanish. Ribadesella does have a lovely square where families congregate in the evenings during the paseo hrs., and your son would have plenty of opportunities in such a small town to meet many children his age. The area also abounds in very affordable and highly comfortable, appealing lodging, both rentals, country inns and B&Bs. And you have the best of both worlds-lovely beaches, many of them secluded, and the majestic Picos de Europa mountain range at your back door for a multitude of great excursions and hikes, and the prehistoric caves of Tito Bustillo right in Ribadesella, plus the festivals of St. Juan, then St Peter-St. Paul in late June, plus many more in July. Asturias really has it all, I think, for a great, affordable family vacation.
May 9th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Hi Dalila, I am so glad that Maribel and her common sense and profound knowledge of Spain is back !
I felt terribly I couldn 't help you.
In as much as I love Extremadura I agree with Maribel......Buena suerte.
May 9th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Hola Graziella!
That's a very kind comment, but I learn a TON from you too! I'm always copying and pasting your ideas! And we both seem to love the same areas.

Dalila,
You might want to check the following sites for accomodations on the Asturian coast:

http://en.toprural.com/ES.cfm?Accion=Resultados
(Top Rural has 80 rentals listed for Asturias)

http://www.asturnor.com/apartamentos...amentos-4.html

www.a-asturias.com/en/index.htm

www.spaindreams.com/cas/info/cr_golon.htm (for Luarca)

www.vivirasturias.com

www.casacantab.co.uk/

www.desdeasturias.com/paginas/ficha.asp?id=937

http://www.infoasturias.com/plantill...d=&auditoria=F

www.spanishaffair.co.uk/2003/default.asp

Good luck!
May 9th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel and Graziella, Thank you both for helping me out. I was feeling apprehensive thinking that I was travelling alone with a young child and choosing a place that would be difficult to deal with. Asturias sounds great I will look into it right away- thanks for the web pages also! You guys are so knowledgeable do you travel there often?
May 9th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Dalila,
You'e very welcome.
Also for lodging look at
www.orientedeasturias.com, then click on Ribadesella and Llanes, and for both, click on alojamiento to see what this agency has available.

In Llanes, you might also check the 3 star inn, La Posada del Rey, since the rms have microwave, sink and small fridge.

http://laposadadelrey.iespana.es/lap...habitacion.htm
May 11th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Dalila,
On the heels of Cova's idea...

Because it may be a little late to try to find an apartment rental on the Asturian coast since it's so very popular with Spanish families, you might move further east to Cantabria.
Although it's equally popular, here are some coastal villages we've enjoyed that come to mind to add to your possibilities:

Comillas (really lovely)
San Vicente de la Barquera
Suances

I'd avoid Santillana because it gets so chock-filled with tourists plus it's inland (beaches provide a great opportunity for your son to make friends).
I think Isla, Ajo and Noja east of Santander may be too tiny but they do have several apt. options.

You may want to check the following for apts. in Cantabria:

www.acantabria.com
www.123cantabria.com
www.guiadecantabria/hosteleria
ww.sanvicentedelabarquera.org/turismo.htm

And good luck! I hope you find something just right.