Sevilles, Spain - ?'s about area

Jan 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Sevilles, Spain - ?'s about area

My daughter is going to be spending a semester in Seville and attending school - she will be staying with a family - does anyone have any ideas of what we could bring them for a gift? Is there anything that is off the beatenpath that she should see that would not be in the typical tour? Any areas to stay away from? Any info would be wonderful!
Jan 24th, 2010, 03:05 PM

I can tell you one thing she is a lucky girl. Seville is a city just the right size. Not small not huge. There is so much to see and do, and there are lots of traditions. For a gift to bring to Spain think what you would give here in same circumstances. Everything is available all over the world....globalization I guess .
I am sure she shall have a wonderful experience. It is true that lately young people in Spain have also embrace customs from all over the world including bad ones but it will a great opportunity to live in another country and be herself. Buena suerte. ( Only minus it is very hot in Summer)
Jan 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM

They say something like Maple syrup is a good gift but I doubt anyone would use it as it's not their custom.
They do make olive oil pancakes in Spain though.
Jan 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

I know it is hard because you can get anything anywhere now but we can get small b9ottles of Maple Syrup. She will be there for 6 weeks in June - I am jealous!!! I know she will have a great time - Thank you!
Jan 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM

They sell maple syrup in El Corte Ingles supermarket in the centre of the city...and to be honest I don't think it's considered a big deal. You're on shaky ground with food and drink as far as spanish people are concerned because unless they're very liberal (and probably quite young) they will consider anything that isn't either what they normally consume or what is available but considered a delicacy as inferior. For the majority, cuisine begins and ends in Spain. So, nick-nacks might be better...some glass ware maybe, some pottery/ceramics...hard to say. why not wait until your dd has been there a few days then you can tap her up for their tastes.
As far as what to see goes, let her be guided by them. they will feed her all the info about the big hitting sights and will also tell her about local restaurants, excursions etc. In June, it would be a lovely idea to spend a w/end in the Sierra de Norte, about an hour's drive NE of the city. Beautiful countryside, pretty little towns, rivers and some surprisingly good places to stay - and also a little cooler than Sevilla itself. You could also head south to the coastal area - Cadiz, Jerez, Sanlucar, El Puerto and the beaches. Plenty of options
Jan 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you -i was wondering how close they were to the beaches - do you know if they surf at any of them?
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:48 AM

the costa de la luz has arguably the best surfing in europe - maybe sw portugal would argue...tarifa is a world centre for surfing and other beaches right the way along to el puerto are good. best options though are the stretch from tarifa through zahara de los atunes and trafalgar point to el palmar...the best stuff is to the east. by car it would take you 1hr 50 mins-2hrs to reach tarifa from sevilla. el puerto is just over an hour away; el palmar about 1 hr 30 mins