Independant Travel/Prague

Dec 24th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Independant Travel/Prague

My husband and I will be in Prague for 5 days next summer. We would like to see the countryside and also visit Krumlov castle. Is it possible to take a train for the day on our own or is it suggested to take a tour? We usually do everything on our own and take audio tours when they are available.
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM

We went to Prague in 2003 . . . and in the middle of our visit, went to CK for a couple of days.

We took the 8:30 a. bus (150 Kè ea, $5.42) from Florenc station and it took 3.5 hours over a bumpy, winding road. This was not the nicest bus we have ever been on and certainly not the worst. The windows were dirty which made it hard to see out, the seatbacks were low . . . it was similar to a school bus but with armrests.

We had a nice couple of days there, I think you would want to spend the night and mill around and not go on a day tour.

Happy travels,
Sandy (in Denton)
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM

It's easy to take a train and change trains in Ceske Budejovice, the capital of South Bohemia. You'll take a really old, simple train to Cesky Krumlov from Budejovice. You should consider spending the night in Cesky Krumlov, before heading back to Prague.

And you might also consider spending the day in Ceske Budejovice on the way back. It has a nice pedestrian zone and old town square. After visiting Prague hundreds of times over the decades, I spend my time here, now.
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM

We were in Prague in September and took a one-day bus tour to Cesky Krumlov. We absolutely loved Cesky Krumlov, but I would suggest you not consider a one-day bus tour. By the time everyone was picked up and with poor traffic conditions, we actually had very little time there. Our guide was way below average, and we went off by ourselves for most of the two hours we had.

If you are only going to be in Prague for five days, spending an overnight there will minimize what you can do in Prague. I really wanted to see the castle and the village so was glad we did it. But if it is possible to do on the train, I would suggest that option rather than taking a bus tour.
Dec 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like it might be better to take a private tour than trying to do the train an bus thing.