Greece - Ideas for End of March??

Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Greece - Ideas for End of March??

We are traveling to Greece the last week in March '08(there for 6 days). We were told "do Athens for 2 days and then the islands." Knowing it won't be warm enough for swimming, and being with an active 13 yr old, which islands are best for sightseeing? And how many can we/should we see in 4 days?
SO appreciate ANY feedback!!
Robin

Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM

You should get lots of feedback on this.

Mine is as follows: Assuming you'll be flying out of Athens, you really only have 3 full days to explore outside of Athens, so only one island is recommended. If you can afford to fly then choose Crete. Fly into Heraklion in the morning for your first day there. Visit the Palace of Knossos, then either rent a car or take the bus west to Chania for the remainder of your time before flying back to Athens for the flight home.

If you can't afford to fly then stick with one of the islands close to Athens-Spetses, Aegina and Hydra in particular. They're all within 3 hours of Athens by ferry and are interesting, especially Hydra which doesn't allow autos thus preserveing much of its authentic and traditional "feel."
Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM

To be more precise, save the exploration of Athens until the end of your trip so as not to waste any time backtracking. Fly to your island of choice directly upon arrival if that's in your budget and the island has an airport. Otherwise take the ferry port bus straight to Piraeus to catch the next ferry out.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM

>>We were told "do Athens for 2 days and then the islands."<<

Good advice for the summer, but not for March.

Why not stay on the mainland where there is far more to see and everything is open? You could do your two days in Athens, then go to Delphi, Meteora, or the Peloponnese. Would your 13 yr old be interested in seeing Olympia, the site of the original Olympics?

If you still want to see an island, you could take a day trip to one of the Saronic Gulf islands mentioned by brotherleelove.
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Another idea for your active 13 yr old: if you decide to visit Delphi, and your teenager would like to try some skiing or snowboarding, further up Mt Parnassos from Delphi is Greece's largest ski area. See: http://www.parnassos-ski.gr/en/
Dec 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM

I went to Greece in March two years ago with my daughter and decided to stay on the mainland rather than go to the islands because I heard that many things on the islands would still be closed for the season. We had a great trip. Loved Athens, took a tour for three nights to Mycenae, Olympia, Delphi and the Meteora.

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34589254

Photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-b9k6sz