daytrips from prague on public transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have some ideas, and stories of their own experiences. I was looking into terzin. Thank you in advance, Patti
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

please
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Hello, should I reword my title? I have the read some old posts, but just would like some feedback. thank pj
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Terezin is a good idea, especially on a Monday when many Prague places are closed. Busses leave Florenc bus station at 900 and take an hour. After the wrenching journey I took a bus ten minutes over the river to Litomerice, a fine baroque town with plenty to see, good restaurants, and all in all an antidote to Terezin.

Three hours from Prague is the grand, Imperial, spa town of Karlovy Vary, once Karlsbad, with grandeur and the strange sight of rich Russians at play, as rich Prussians once played. Fares are low in the Czech Republic, so I suggest you leave Prague Holesovice at 0528, use a sleeper at a supplement of some 30 euros (or simply sit up and doze) wash and breakfast on the train, and reach K V at 0845. Coming back you might try the same express: KV 1908, dine on board, Prague Holesovice 2228.

Also three hours away is Cesky Krumlov, a complete walled, gothic city. Again, an early train gives you enough hours. Prague Hlavni (beware pickpockets) 0607, snooze, wash, and breakfast on board, reach Ceske Budejovice (CB) 0851, walk under the road to the adjoining bus station, take a bus for forty minutes, and reach Cesky Krumlov (CK) about 1000. Leave CK by bus about 1800, leave CB by train at 1905, dine on board, and reach Prague Hlavni at 2140.

And my last idea for three hours away is Brno, beautiful of itself with fine buildings and with museums to Gregor Mendel and to Smetana. Prague Hlavni 0732, Brno 0911, Brno 1707, Prague Holesovice 1930: restaurant cars both ways.

One-way fares from Prague, second class with express supplement, are Karlovy Vary 11 euros, Ceske Budejovice 9 euros, Brno 13 euros.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM

You can also use a tour agency to visit Terezin; the guide will provide a lot of useful background information.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM

There's nothing wrong with your title, it's very specific. I think there aren't that many people who know a lot about it, that's all. I didn't even notice your post until now, but it wasn't because of the title, it must have sunk fast.

I've been there three times and have done day trips, but I prefer day trip bus tour companies because they are so cheap and do such a good job in Prague. However, it is easy to get the info you need from a good guidebook -- I used Frommers for Prague as it was very specific and had a section on close day trips and exactly how to get there. Some other guidebooks, like Eyewitness, are terrible for that kind of thing. The places I've wanted to go were not that easy by public tranportation, either, and using a tour company was a lot more efficient.

For example, I've been to Cesky Krumlov, but preferred to use a tour company instead of doing it myself. It was lot more convenient and saved time, so you got more time in the place itself. Not to mention it was just easier. Those tours are real cheap in Prague compared to many cities.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, this was the type of first hand info I was looking for, thank you all PJ
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I was thinking of asking this same question myself - thanks for that!

Not sure if we'll do the tour of Terezin or just hop on a bus, but I looked up a few tour agencies and it seems there is a trip just about every day, for around $50 including transport. I find the guides very helpful as well - I'm learning that it's really silly to try to save $10 here and there just to do it yourself, and then you don't learn as much or take away something new.