In Italy now, need Siena advice

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Italy now, need Siena advice

I'm at the front end of 10 days in Italy. Did two days in Rome and am now in Florence. I had scheduled 4 days here in Florence but I now see that 4 days is overkill for my taste and interests. I am thinking of taking the last two days that I had originally planned for Florence and spending those days/nights in Siena as I am desiring of a little bit more of a smaller town experience.

My question: Has anybody stayed at either the Hotel Duomo or Pensione Palazzo Ravizza in Siena. Also, I'm assuming that there is a straight train connection from Siena to Venice (my next stop). I'll be in Venice three nights and then back to Rome for one night before flying home.

Thanks. Rob
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM

You will have to change trains in Florence to get from Siena to Venice. Bus will probably be easier from Siena to Florence as it leaves from Piazza Gramsci at the historic center while the train station is on the edge of town. The bus will drop you by the train station in Florence.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the train/bus advice, duly noted. Any feel for nice hotels in Siena? The two I mentioned above I pulled out of my Rick Steves book and my iPhone internet access is kind of spotty. I'm looking for a hotel for between 100-150 euros a night for one person.

Thx. Rob
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at Palazzo Ravizza last fall. Had a gorgeous view from my room of the countryside and the sunsets were spectacular!

The room was a good size, bathroom was fine. But, I thought the decor was a bit tired and worn for the price I paid.

The bus from Florence to Siena will drop you in town vs. the train that is outside of the walls.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM

We stayed at the Ravizza in '06; the views were indeed spectacular; we would go back again.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I really loved the Palazzo Ravizza (there last in 2005.) Quite charming.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM

What are your tastes and interests -- and I don't exactly think of Siena as a small town.

There are small Tuscan wine towns you could easily get to -- like Panzano. Or Buonconvento, which is just 30 minutes outside Siena, so you could day trip back to Siena if you wanted more sightseeing.

I'm not trying to make things complicated difficult, but while there are quite dramatic differences in the two cities, there are also many similarities.

Villa Sangiovese in Panzano

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Tuscany.html

Hotel Ghibbelino in Buonconvento

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Tuscany.html
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM

I DID feel like Sienna was a small town compared to Rome, Florence, Paris, etc. I was glad for a couple of days where I could just walk slowly and see everything in a small area--where I didn't feel like I had to run all day to see everything.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM

This Siena b&b in the center of town should fit your budget and is very nice-

http://www.residenzadepoca.it/en/offerte.php
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Zeppole: I probably meant to say "a smaller town" rather than a small town. Just something a little less hectic than what I have seen in Rome and Florence. I know Siena gets a lot of day trippers from Florence but I am assuming it is more mellow at night. Also, I don't have a car so I like the idea of being in Siena where I can easily walk to things or use buses/trains.

Thanks to all for the hotel suggestions. Some are not available for 5/29 - 30 (my dates) on such short notice but I'll keep looking as long as this shaky iPhone connection holds up!

Thanks. Rob
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

All the recommended hotels were booked so I'll be staying at Hotel Italia. Got good reviews on Tripadvisor so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Looking forward to seeing Siena.

Rob