Search

I'm Scared

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Scared

I bought a rail saver pass from raileurope for France. I have to use the train 3 days in one month. Just now I was able to have raileurope book my reservation on the TGV from CDG to AVN TGV for August 11-07, But no Choise of Seats, they just gave me what they had available.

Is there a seating map on SNCF or another site for the TGV, I want to see what RailEuope gave us. RailEurope is not the most helpful people, they never ask to clarify things for you, and the feel very vague in their customer service. anyway ...

I didn't see MorganB's post when I bought the railpass in April. I was confused on the SNCF site and was spooked enough to buy through Rail Europe. Now I wish I had just bought direct and saved my self some hassle.

Did I make a huge mistake?

Do I have to validate my FranceSaver Pass at the CDG terminal before leaving, And do I have to validate the reservation to AVN as well.

Is the SNCF ticket office @ DCG helpful, or rude and could care less.

Should I get a refund on the Railsaver Pass since I bought the protection package, then re-book on SNCF?

Help I am now scared that I may have made a mistake buying from RailEurope.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I think you are overreacting if you are just concerned about seat choice. You don't have much seat choice if you book from SNCF, either. There is no seating map and you can't choose exact seats. You can mark a preference for certain types of broad seating categories on SNCF, though (aisle, window, some other configurations, I think).
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I also just noticed that you are comparing two different things, a railpass versus individual tickets. YOu can't buy a railpass on the SNCF website, so if you truly thought that was the most economical choice for you, there wasn't anything else you could have done, anyway.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM

You're scared? I'm TERRIFIED!
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

OK I guess that is true, it did seem as if I got a better deal buying the railpass when I did. So how does the whole validation thing work? That was really my point. IF I had bought the tix online then I wouldn't have to hassle with anything just get on the train right?

I'm worried because we are in the middle of europes vacation period.

S
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM

In order to use your railpass you will have to have someone at the CDG station validate it.

There is nothing to be frightened about. The worst that may have happened is you may have overpaid for transportation BUT that depends on how much use you will be getting out of the pass.

Pass prices are set by the railroad and agencies such as RailEurope (which, by the way is owned partially by the SNCF) add on things such as shipping and handling fees.

Before you decide to cancel that pass be aware that there may be a certain amount of penalty charged even if it is totally unused.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM

By "penalty" above I mean some sort of "administrative fee."
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Pass protection and refund of unused, unactivated passes have zero to do with each other.

Pass protection plan kicks in only after you validate your pass and then lose it or have it stolen.

Any pass even without the pass protection on it can be refunded for up to one year (France pass) for a 15% cancellation fee - so you will lose 15%.

I think you're good to go. But leave a lot of time to activate (validate) your pass at CDG as lines to do so can be an hour long or so (last time i waited in one, i know)

RailEurope could have pre-activated the pass for you as a convenience but didn't mention that. that's one reason, their poor service, i always advise for any RailEurope product going to BETS (800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) as their service is tops and will give you great advice. You may perhaps as saved money via sncf site but figure in the 15% you will lose plus mailing costs to return the pass (certified mail with signature required as you are basically sending cash) and hassle.

You never have to validate any ticket, reservation, etc. bought thru RailEurope - though this is often the case for similar bought in Europe. You do have to validate the railpass for its overall time frame once and that's it. If you did go the PREM route this is tricky getting off plane and onto trains - you either leave a lot of fudge time for planes to be late, etc. or cut it too close - PREMs i believe and TimS, the guru along with MorganB of the Byzantine sncf pricing/ticketing structure on Fodor's can correct, but PREMs are not changeable or refundable so value of a pass at the airport is if you miss your targeted train you just lose the reservation but the pass can be used on other trains.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I will say it again, there is <b>nothing to be scared of</b> in this case.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ and others. I feel somewhat better, not really looking forward to that wait at CDG although barring delays we get in at 6:00 am.

Yeah Rail Europe is really poor in the CS department. Not very helpful.

Thanks again.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM

at 6am i would think there would hardly be anyone in line - i was there much later, around noon.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM

At 6 am I don't believe there is someone working at the SNCF office at CDG...
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM

I think you can also validate a pass at the RER ticket window near the TGV station if lines are too long.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Now relax, slogdog and have a glass of wine
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Now that you have all this good advice heres another related one. If you are female, have enough change, in the country you are getting off the train in, to use the loo. many train loos are too awful to use. Or non existant. Or they were a few years back.
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:48 AM

just a correction - cancellation of the pass incurs a 20% cancellation fee, up this year from 15%.