Reload this Page >

If you dont' drink alcohol?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Karen

I cannot drink alcohol and feel like it's almost a crime to go to Italy and not be able to drink. I feel I will be missing the long lingering dinners, etc. Anyone in my position have any suggestions? What can I order in a bar or restaurant besides water or coke that would be interesting? Do they make non-alcoholic drinks or wine-like substitutes? Thanks

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Ursula

Karen: When in a bar, try "Crodino". Italy's most famous and best selling non-alcoholic beverage delivering all the aroma and taste of an acoholic product as an aperitif.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:59 AM
mmla

Careful, a lot of "non-alcohol" alcohol drinks actually have trace amounts of alcohol -- enough to be a problem for certain people. This is, unfortunately, true of all the "non-alcoholic" beers sold in the US, so I would be wary of Crodino.<BR><BR>You're much better off ordering "Fanta" which is a not-bad orange drink (not sticky sweet like HiC, etc.) or limonata (a tart bottled carbonated version of lemonade) or Orangina, or your basic San Pellegrino or Lurisia sparkling (con gaz) or still mineral water. There are also versions of Orzata (Sp. almond drink), I believe.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Vita

This wasn't available at the time of year that I went, but if you like coffee, you could try a granita. There is so much good stuff to consume in Italy. Don't worry about missing out on the alcohol.

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Liz Z.

I wrote a post almost identical to yours before I went to Italy last fall! It was not a problem not to drink, though I was happy with mineral water, so I have no recommendations about alternatives. But no one gave me funny looks or acted like I was "missing the point." We ate at Cane e Gatto in Sienna, which is a three hour experience, and not having wine was fine, even though it was offered.

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Liz Z.

P.S My post was called "Is it an insult to refuse wine?" and you can find it via the search function if you're interested.<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:26 PM
huh

Have you ever gone out to dinner in a nice restaurant at home? How is this any different? It's perfectly comfortable for you to have dinner and no drinks in a fashionable restaurant at home when everyone around you is drinking, but suddenly in Europe it is different? If you don't drink, don't. What's the problem and how is it any different in Italy than anywhere else?

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Karen

I thought it was different in Italy because people do spend so much longer at dinner drinking wine before and after dinner. I can't spend three hours drinking water before dinner. At home I do not eat long meals because of that. What a bummer! Any other suggestions? Does anyone know for sure if that Crodino has any alcohol in it? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Hiho

I do believe that it is Italina law (paseed in the 19th century but still in effect), that one cannot have dinner last for more than 59 minutes if one is not drinking alcohol. So, I am afraid the original poster is correct - no long, lingering dinners for her.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Hohi

Nonsense!

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Karen

This was a very serious question on my part. It is amazing to me how people can be so insensitive to a person's genuine question. It is harder to sit in a restaurant with two people when you are only drinking water with your meal. I was just trying to get advice on what I could order to linger over and not feel like I was sitting there waiting for my food. If you can't help please don't be so insensitive.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Vita

Karen, Personally, I think it's perfectly OK to linger over a glass of water during dinner. When you get to Italy, especially if you're travelling alone, you'll find yourself striking up conversations with the waiters and maybe with people at the table next to you. I think it's the conversation that makes the dinners linger more than anything else.<BR><BR>Like someone else suggested, you could do a San Pellegrino before dinner and a cappucino or other coffee afterward. For dessert, ice cream drenched in espresso is excellent.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:37 AM
danna

If you are on a friendly basis with your waiter/bartender, ask for Limonata in a champagne flute. That's what I served a non-drinking guest while the rest of us were having Bellinis with brunch recently and it looked just as festive and tasted a little better. You will be the only one who remembers the food next a.m.