Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for Liverpool (posted by mistake on USA site lol)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOPS Posted on USA too by mistake..lol sorry
Hi everyone,
As some of you may know I live in Cardiff, Wales. Not really far from Liverpool, but we have never been there..lol

Now I know that there is no one better to make recommendations on these places than you guys so I expect some great suggestions from you...

Me and Mrs Muck are going away for a teenager free weekend at the end of the month 31st March.
One thing we want to see is the Beatles exhibition.
Mrs M likes shopping.
We are looking for something great to do Saturday evening, and interesting places to visit Saturday and Sunday.
Any suggestions welcome.

We intend to drop into Chester en route to liverpool on the Friday so any suggestions there too.

Thanks in advance

Muck

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I made a special detour to Liverpool a couple of years ago whilst traveling between London and Glasgow just to take a tour of Beatles sites. I took the Magical Mystery Tour which leaves from Albert Docks (and has a small museum there as well). The tour takes you to the boyhood/young adult homes of the Fab Four, as well as places such as Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and the church where a young McCartney met the young Lennon. The tour ends at The Cavern Club on Mathew Street.

As for shopping, there is a pedestrian area in downtown that has a lot of shopping, but if I remember correctly, it shuts down around 6pm and becomes deserted.

Keith
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Mrs M will get richer shopping pickings from the Moto service area on the M62 than from anywhere in Liverpool. Liverpool shoppings's been pretty ho-hum for years, and the shopping area is now being maniacally rebuilt. By 2008, it'll have even more than its fair share of Nexts, Cafe Neros and the like.

But right now, try Chester. For younger clothes buyers though, Liverpool's Wade Smith has some character, but otherwise it's the same set of chains you'll get at home, but messier.

For diversions in and around Liverpool, see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34676919
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Brain not altogether switched on.

Liverpool itself is indeed lousy for shopping. But Cheshire Oaks, at J10 on the M53 so v handy for Welshmen, claims to be Britain's best factory outlet mall.

Given that its main competition is the ...er "parallel" retailing that goes on in Liverpool pubs every Saturday night, it'd have to be to survive.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Great so far, thanks everyone.
Any more to add to my list?

Muck
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:01 AM

what about the footy - there's almost certainly going to be at least one bunch of mickeys's at home?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Hey David, I already thought of that.
I just couldn't imagine taking Mrs Muck away for a teenager free weekend and going to the footie..lol
No unfortunately that wouldn't wash with her.
Plus she would be miserable all the time then......;-)

Some weekend that would be..lol

Muck
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:55 AM

Haven't they got a tate gallery up there?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Shopping revisited:

I've obviously been away from my roots for too long. The Merseyside-based bits of the CS clan either don't do shopping or think it's posher to go to Chester. I really ought to have learned by now not to listen to them.

Metquarter, a designer-brand fashion mall, opened - though most of its shops aren't yet let - a week or two back in the old Victoria St GPO. It includes fascias that might not have made it to Cardiff yet, like Armani Exchange (though no Emporio) and TM Lewin, as well as those that probably have, like Hobbs and Animal.

The mainly tat-stuffed Cavern Walks minimall includes designercentric Drome and Cricket, independent shops who absolutely don't do tat. Drome also has a menswear shop in Bold St.

And the Liverpool retail redevelopment is actually coming on faster than I'd realised. Although the biggest bit doesn't open for trading till 2008, Metquarter claims to have let two-thirds, and the Central Village shops (in what used to be the city's upmarket fashion core back when Liverpool was a world city) start opening in May of this year.

So the place might stop being a retail desert faster than I'd forecast.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:29 AM

Hey, Mucky, where you'd go?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Just came back after a short but relaxing weekend.
We stayed at the Village Hotel in Liverpool which was great value at £129 wich gave us 2 nights bed and breakfast and evening meal on the first night.
The leisure club was great and hotel lovely.
We visited the Albert dock, and went on the Beatles museum tour, where we stayed for about 3 hours, its well worth visiting.
Walking around the Albert dock area the weather was rubbish, but we were able to see the area.
Condalesse Rice turned up an hour or so after we had left so we had a lucky escape there.

Spent some time in Chester, which is a gorgeous place, satisfied Mrs Mucks shopping at the Mcarthur glen designer village at Cheshire Oaks. Now I am broke !

Thanks for the advice, we only had a short time but we enjoyed it.

Bye for now

Muck