Hotel in Milan - Easy access to Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm going to be traveling around Italy in July, and will be staying in Milan just one night before my early flight in the morning. Any suggestions for a hotel that is close to the airport, or right off of the train that we can easily take to the airport early in the morning?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM

We stayed at the Andreola Central in Milan, a block from the train station and the express bus to the airport, and it was fine and very convenient for our early morning departure from the airport to return to the US. I see a special rate of $108 on various websites, inclding travelocity, or you can contact the hotel directly.

Note that the area near the train station isn't scenic, and when we were there in fall of 2003, grafitti punks had marked the outside of the hotel. However, we did not see any seedy folks in the area between the hotel and train station, and the interior of the hotel was quite satisfactory.

Regarding the trip to the airport, my recollection is that the express bus was just outside the train station, and one purchased one's ticket from the bus driver. Allow plenty of time for the airport ride, as traffic was wreched on our commute, and while we arrived on time for our flight, the flight crew arrived half an hour late due to traffic.

Have a great time in Italy!

P.S. I note from the reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor that at one point there were some unhappy folks due to overbooking problems. My suggestion is always to confirm all hotel bookings just before you depart for Italy.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Spelling should be "wretched." Blame the error on my "wretched" sticky keyboard!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM

We stayed at First Hotel by the airport - shuttle took us very, very early to the terminal & it was perfect for our needs.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM

allisonc711, also look at www.hotelvillamalpensa.com. We stayed there for little over $200, great hotel, wonderful grounds, an American breakfast included, and a bus to take you to the airport. We'll never stay anywhere else when we have an early flight out of Malpensa. Have a great trip, Gianni
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:07 PM

We stayed at Hotel Cervo about a 10min shuttle bus ride to Malpensa Airport in Jan this year. Our flight left about 0700 and we couldn't get any public transport from Milan to the Airport in time, so might be a good idea to check that out first. It is a fair distance to travel, so imagine taxis could be costly. Hotel Cervo was clean and adequate for our purpose..cost was 110 euro for a triple room including brekky(hot coffee and brioche if leaving before 0700). Shuttle bus was not incuded...cost 3 euro p.p. each trip..you have to be picked up from the airport to get to the hotel. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Taxis are costly -- how early is your flight? The first bus to take you from the Milano Central Train Station to Malpensa leaves at 4:30 am. The next one is at 5:00am, and then there are buses every 15 minutes. The trip takes approximately 1 hour. There is a secure 24-hour waiting room that is police-patrolled at the train station, so if you don't want to spend the money for a hotel (I didn't, as I arrived in Milano at 11pm with a next-morning flight at 7:30 am), you can stay there and catch the bus in time. If I had to stay a full night, I would definitely have stayed in Malpensa rather than Milano.
Cheers!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM

We have stayed at Villa Malpensa three times and love it. Their van will take you to the airport. If you stay in Milan you have to be aware that the busses and trains sometimes do strike or have "slow downs". When we were last there in nov. this happened to quite a few people who ended up on our flight which was a day later then they were supposed to go because they did not make it to the airport in time for their scheduled flight.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Another possibility you might consider is the Starhotels Anderson, located (no more than 150 to 200 yards) directly across the square from Milan's Stazione Centrale (from where the above-described busses depart for Malpensa airport). This is a particularly good choice if (1) your flight departs at a time to permit the one-hour bus ride from central Milan to Malpensa; and (2) if you will be staying over a weekend night. Weekend rates at the Starhotels Anderson (do an internet search for the Starhotels website) are about 100 Euros per night, breakfast included, and the hotel is rated in the top 5 for all of Milan on tripadvisor.com.

Have a good trip.

David
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM

It is far nicer (and faster) to take the train to Malpensa, which leaves from Cadorna Station. (The bus to the airport leaves from the Central Station, and it is quite an unattractive area.)

Hotels that I can recommend convenient to the airport train are Hotel Palazzo delle Stelline and UNA Cusani.

But also consider this: If you are leaving at dawn, you might not want to walk around the deserted streets of Milan and would prefer to take a taxi to the airport train. It will only cost 5 euros, and your hotel will make the arrangements. And that means you can stay anyplace you like in Milan. The Brera area and the Duomo area are the swankiest and the nicest for drinks and dinner.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM

in january we stayed at hotel spadari in the centre and organised a car to take us there from airport, did this thru the easyjet web site
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM

woodsie,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but any comments on Hotel Spadari Al Duomo? We will be staying there in July. Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I agree with David regarding the Starhotels Anderson Hotel. We were there in October 2005 for 2 nights. Right across from the central train station so very easy to get into the center of the city. And also across the street from the shuttle bus which takes you right to the airport for 5 Euros a piece. Hotel looks like a dirty office building on the outside, but very elegant and inviting on the inside. Excellent, comfortable beds, clean rooms, wonderful bathroom with amenities. Absolutely deserves the #1 spot on trip advisor.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking maybe of staying close to the airport. I've heard some good things about "First Hotel" and "Villa Malpensa". Our flight is at 10:30am, and the bus from Milan is an hour long. I think I'd rather be closer to the airport, than wasting time that morning getting up early and riding on a bus. I'm always nervous of traffic, etc. Any comments on the hotels near Malpensa?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM

After the airlines (Alitalia) changed our flight from a reasonable time to a ridiculously early time, I think staying near as possible to the airport is a great idea.
The Villa Malpensa was suggested for us too.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:27 AM

You won't regret staying close to the airport -- especially since you have an early flight time. Have fun!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:49 AM

how did you know this poster was leaving from malpensa. is linate closed?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM

Make sure you know which airport. There are three serving Milan. Malpensa is the main one, but there are also flights to Linate. Linate is a lot closer and a shorter trip from downtown. Lastly, Bergamo is used by RyanAir and is the most difficult to get to.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

Weadles, we stayed at the Hotel Spadari Al Duomo last September and loved it. The location is superb. The room was very nice, small but had all the amenities. Breakfast was fabulous as you could order hot food cooked fresh. Next door to Peck for goodies. I highly recommend it and would stay there again. The staff was very kind.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM

weadles, we found the hotel spadari to be excellent, booked it on their web site and needed an extra night when got there which they helped us with. Very convinient location, as i said we got limo to get there from airport but hotel organised cab back to train station. There are metro stations nearby and their restaurant recommendations were good. The hotel was reccomended on the fodors site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -