Sarasota Walking Shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for suggestions for spending a Saturday in Sarasota for a friend and I. We like historic architecture, browsing through shops, and walking. Is there a particular area where we could park the car and spend our day doing this? The Herald Square area was mentioned on a Sarasota tourism website, but I can't find further information on it. Have heard of St Armands Circle too. If anyone can tell me more about any of Sarasota's historic areas I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Here is a tour of the historic part of Sarasota with some shopping, gaslleries and restaurants thrown in. Do this part early:

http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/sarasota.htm

then drive to St.Armands Circle for some serious shopping and some very nice restaurants:

http://longboatkeychamber.com/shopping.htm
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM

I agree with AA--however I hope you live close since you are only spending the day. that is alot to do.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:42 AM

This is another way to see the historic Sarasota:

http://www.floridaever-glides.com/

Earlier this year my GF and I did the tour. It was fun, easy, and most importantly very informative. You get to visit the historic parts of downtown Sarasota.

I've lived here now for more than 10 years and I still didn't know about some of the history of Sarasota until I did this tour.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM

The downtown (Main Street) shopping will also offer you the Saturday farmer's market which is fun. Follow the side street with the market to an area slightly north with some wonderful antique and consignment shops.

Make a slight side trip to Burns Court also. There is a big old "warehouse" like store of all kinds of antiques, gifts, and general kitcsh, as well as some "funky" art galleries.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. We live on Florida's East Coast and are looking forward to our weekend in Sarasota. I have a feeling it will be the first of many visits.