Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Iceland is it worth going to the Blue Lagoon, I can't swim.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Iceland in April. What is there to do/see at the Blue Lagoon if you do not swim? Thnaks in advance.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM
cod

You don't need to be able to swim. The Blue Lagoon is a hot thermal pool, not very deep, outdoors. You just lie about in it, and soak up the hot water. I think it's full of minerals. But it's a great experience, soaking up the hot water in the cool outdoors, and it makes you feel great for the rest of the day. It's between Reyjavik and the airport. My mother (in her mid 80's, not an Olympic swimmer!) and I visited two years ago, and loved it.

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Blue Lagoon is great fun. Very few people actually swim in it, most just walk around or sit on the benches. We took a tour that picked us up from the airport and dropped us at the Blue Lagoon. We had a couple of hours there which was enough to soak, shower and dress, have a bit to eat and walk around and take pictures. I was very worried about the time and missing our bus but no need, they have a huge clock that you can see from all over the lagoon. Be sure to take hair conditioner if you get your hair wet. We didn't and our hair felt like straw for a few days. We left our luggage on the tour bus and the driver stayed with it to be sure it was secure. After our visit, the tour took us right to our hotel door. It was very convenient and very fun. I understand that they run tours that go the opposite direction also if you want to go the Blue Lagoon before you catch your plane out of there.