9 Hours In Iceland?

Search

9 Hours In Iceland?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 Hours In Iceland?

I'm looking into taking advantage of a long layover in Iceland.

After figuring in airport check-in times, I would have about 9 hours to play with.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I checked the forum and could only find ideas for layovers under 4 hours.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
eri

Since no one has replied, I'll try to give you some ideas. You haven't mentioned when you intentend to be in Iceland. I am assuming that it is in the near future, in the winter.
The international airport, Keflavik, is about 30 miles (over 40 km) from Reykjavik. Technically it is possible to catch transportation to Reykjavik, and walk around town for a few hours. It is a small lovely place with that special "northern athmosphere". If you haven't been in such a place before, you will probably enjoy it. Every travel guide will furnish you with idea of where to go and what to see. Most of Reykjavik can be experienced by foot.
Many people will tell you that you absolutely must go to the Blue Lagoon. I think that with the 9 hours that you have, the Blue Lagoon will at most consume 4 hours, it will leave you with 5 more which won't be enough to do anything else. The blue Lagoon is located about the third of the way between the airport to town. It is not on the main road.
If you really want to experience something very Icelandic, go swimming in one of the many public swimming pools of Reykjavik. They have naturally warm water. The Icelanders love them It is quite an experience. This is nice even in the cold winter days.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM

I've done exactly what you are proposing, and was very glad I did. You can take the Flybus into Reykjavik, then walk around. See the modern church with and the statue of Leifur Eriksson (first discoverer of America) and the Saga Museum. I took a bus back to the airport that stopped at the Blue Lagoon, then got me back in time for the ongoing flight.

Should you want to do more, check out http://www.re.is/. They specialize in day tours of varying lengths, and should have one to suit your 9 hr layover.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I would be thinking of travelling in the near future. Since I'm more of a "blend with the locals" type of person, I do like the idea of staying in Reykjavik.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM
eri

Have a nice time. I am off abroad (again) today, so I won't be able to answer any more questions!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM

For walking around on your own, you can get some ideas at http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30002. Look on the sidebar for 'Old Town Walk' and 'Museum Walk'. Take the Flybus into Reykjavik, get a free map at the bus station, and enjoy youself. To get back to the airport, consider using the www.re.is service that takes you to Blue Lagoon, waits for you while you swim, and guarantees to get you back in time for the flight.