Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mobile phones - What's best/ cheapest way to rent two for a family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know. Another cell phone question. Sorry, but I've searched the archives and the cell phone sites and haven't seen anything that addresses my family's needs. So here is our situation.

We have Verizon at home (so can't use my antique analog verizon phone in Europe). We won't need cell phones to call people in the states. My husband, our two elementary school-aged kids and I will be flying (British Air) from the States, and transferring (3 hours layover) at Heathrow on our way to Paris. We will be in Paris for a week, take the train to London and be there for a week, and will head home through Heathrow.

Here in the States my husband and I are very used to using cell phones to stay in touch when we are out and about - but only as needed. Seems like we use them mostly on weekends. When we used to travel, before kids, we'd often spend time doing stuff apart (stuff that would boar the other one to tears ... "Not more flowers!", "No more chess museums!" ) , so we'd like to not have to always be together on this trip.

Being able to be in touch by cell phone would make it easier for one of us to go off on our own for a while, or for us to each take one kid and do what they really want to do. We would be able to check in, relax cuz not worrying that we are needed and we wouldn't end up waiting for the other one(s) and getting grumpy.

We would probably also use it to call and be called by our local cousins in Paris and London, to coordinate with them and their young children. We don't wish to be sitting in the apartment waiting for a call (never was good at that!).

So, we are primarily looking for a plan that would make it easy and cheap to call each other in the same town. Secondarily (?) is the ability to contact cousins and vice versa. I take it we want euro phone numbers so we aren't calling the States all the time to get each other.

Some ideas are renting phones at Heathrow (at a reputable place that we can access without going through customs?) and returning them there (buying SIM cards in Paris and London). Or buying chic and pas cher phones in Paris and getting Sim cards in Paris and London (but could we use them with Verizon when we return?), or renting two phones here in the States and getting SIM cards - with euro phone numbers - in Paris and London.

Whew! Thanks for listening. Any ideas?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:43 AM

www.mobalrental.com
You buy a $49 phone (or 2) and pay per-minute charges via credit card, 1.50-2.00Euro/minute. Expensive rates, but keep calls short and to the point.

Otherwise, perhaps you buy refurb. phones on eBay (unlocked) then figure out best SIM card to get. Lots of posts on this forum - enter "SIM" in the search box and you will be inundated.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I'll use SIM to hunt next. Still hoping for that cheap "2 phones calling each other in Europe deal".
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM

My plan with my daughter is that we will use text messages if possible to communicate with each other via our cell phones. For other family members who aren't in Europe, we will use a telephone calling card. We can also use our cell phones in Europe, but the charge is $2 Canadian per minute, so a minimum of $4 everytime we call each other in Europe.

I've also looked into buying unlocked cell phones and getting SIM cards in Europe, but that seems like an expensive proposition.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Hi Suz,
I followed the advice to get 2 unlocked cell phones on ebay, then United Mobile sim cards. UM didn't work in Paris, didn't work in Rome. They are unresponsive to emails. I wish I'd bought the 2 Mobal phones. Expensive per minute but how many minutes does it take to say "I'll meet you at the cafe"?

But if you decide you want 2 unlocked cell phones I have two in a drawer I was planning to donate somewhere.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:12 AM

Rose...

I was in Paris about 2 weeks ago and United Mobile most assuredly did work as well as callbackworld...both worked almost flawlessly....perhaps you did not set up your mobile phone properly.