Reykjavik, Iceland Tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked my flight and hotel (Hotel Nordica). I'll be arriving next Thursday morning and departing on Monday afternoon. I would like to have 1-1.5 spa days, take one or two day long tours and go to the blue lagoon. For the spas I was thinking maybe I would go over to the Laugar Spa and the Nordica another day. How are the spa treatments at the Blue Lagoon? Could someone recommend a tour that I should not miss? I don't want to rent a car because I'll be traveling solo. Also, does anyone know of any events going on next week?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM

We went to the Blue Lagoon but didn't have any spa treatments. I checked in one of my excursion books and they list this website for Reykjavik Spa City, a memeber of the European Spas Association. Hope it helps you, www.spacity.is We loved Iceland in June, hope March weather is kind to you Deborah
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM

The Blue Lagoon is amazing but heed my warnings (and I learned from experience): you are required to wear a bathing suit (top and bottom) while there.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM

laclaire, I'm curious. Did you find out you needed a suit before you got in the thermal pool??? Deborah
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM

No, I actually was asked to get back out and go get a bathing suit. Here goes:

I got there and walked into the changing room. Of course, everyone was naked, and you actually enter the water inside the building and wade outside. So, I did just that. The water is this milky, opaque white, and I just relaxed around until the guard came up and saw that I was topless (not knowing I was also bottomless. . . the water was up to my waist). He said "you need to be wearing a full bathing suit. This isn't Sweden!"

So, now I have a bathing suit from the Blue Lagoon.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM

Oh my, your visit to the Blue Lagoon must have been memorable for you and the other people in the pool with you I hope it is a stunning swimsuit, it was probably rather expensive from what I remember of prices in Iceland Deborah
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM

Though it sounds improbable, I don't think anyone except for the girls in the dressing room knew that I didn't have bottoms on, as I was immersed up to the waist the entire time.

The bathing suite was the prudest thing ever! 1 piece, full butt coverate. . . it might as well be a leotard. I tried to return it after I was done, which I admit was completely ridiculous, but I was so annoyed!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning! Does anyone know if the Blue Lagoon spa treatments are supposed to be any good? I'm going to make my spa booking tomorrow.
Has anyone out there taken a day tour? There are a bunch of companies. Advice would be wonderful. I'm a bit hesitant to take a Jeep tour, it sounds freezing.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM

I did the Golden Circle and the Snaefellsnes Peninsula tours with Reykjavik Excursions http://www.re.is
Both tours had great guides and drivers who were very friendly and informative.
The itinerary seems to have changed on the Snaefellsnes tour since I was there. My tour included a boat cruise to view puffins. This company has a lot of other options. I wish I had done one or two more. I was too busy shopping in Reykjavik..
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM

Shopping indeed! aside from the spas, Iceland is quite the fashion capital and when you are tall like me, it is heaven!