Iceland in January/February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iceland is top on my travel list and my husband thinks we should try to go this January or February because he read it's the best time to see the northern lights. I'm not particularly a lover of cold weather (husband is though) but I LOVE outdoor adventure and natural beauty so I'm not overly concerned about the colder weather at that time - but the lack of day light may be more of an issue if it limits activities. Also, I heard road are shut down and I don't want that to hinder what things we can do/see. A friend went in February last year and had an amazing time but it rained the whole time and they didn't see northern lights. Since this is a bucket list destination I just want to make sure I'm going at a good time and don't rush it. The activities and things I'm interested in are ice cave exploring, hiking, waterfalls, hot springs, whale watching, obviously seeing northern lights etc. I'm an athlete so I'm sure I'll have a blast with a number of actitivies available in Iceland. Would anyone recommend we wait or should be go for it on a winter trip with less tourist crowds?
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 04:25 AM

We spent 24 days in Iceland last September.
Loved the long hours of daylight, saw the NL, were able to do a self driving tour at our own pace.
In winter, daylight will be very limited and driving yourself is not safe.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:17 AM

You stand as much, if not a better chance of seeing the aurora in September. A long as there is a night you can see them. They are often more active around the equinoxes.
I would imagine a whale watching trip is more pleasant, and more likely to go ahead in September/October too.

However winter can be a wonderful time, with amazing light. Towards the end of January into February you will get 7+ hours of daylight, and a long period of twilight.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:47 AM

I went in February of this year for a week and we saw the aurora twice. The rest of the days it was cloudy and snowing. It is never a guarantee that you will see it but it's worth a try in my opinion.
The weather was not too cold- mid 30's F. I did not find the days too short. It got dark about 6 pm but in the morning the day I got there in mid February it got light at 9 am. During the week the days got longer and it got light out 8-8:30 am.