Ice sculptures in Brugges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Brugges for the ice sculptures this year? How is it? We are thinking about driving over there and back on Sat...anyone know how far the drive is? We don't want to spend the night, as we are about to have big Christmas in Vienna. Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Guess I should add that we are in Brussels
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:54 AM

The drive from Brussels to Brugge is about an hour if you don't go at rush hour (where in Brussels are you?). It's a pretty straight shot on the E40 and it's clearly signed--first Gent, then Brugge. Parking in the city lots is pretty cheap.
Saturday is a pretty busy time in Brugge, though, have you thought about taking the train? Only 50 minutes from Gare du Midi, there are at least two per hour coming and going.
I will be in Brugge on Friday, will let you know what sculptures are like if nobody has posted about them before hand.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, BTilke! We are right by Cinquantenaire Park. I am going to check prices for train tix right now.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Then you would want to pick up the train at Gare Centrale, as it's just a handful of stops down from Merode or Schumann.
Found any favorite hangouts in that neighborhood? We lived some months on the rue de Noyer a couple of blocks from the park...near the pretty Ici d'Ailleurs interior design shop. (Have you been there yet? Great Christmas gift idea, beautiful displays.)
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

We live on Rue de Noyer now! We love this area...still close enough to the action but pretty quiet. We take our dog to the small gated park across from the military school. Are you talking about the Valerie Goffin shop on the corner? It is gorgeous. There is a little restaurant across from the Bok and Dragon that we really like...if you didn't know it was there you would miss it...don't even know the name.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:54 AM

Yes, we know which restaurant you mean...I forget the name, too. And yes, the shop is attached to Valerie's design service.
My dog and I were/are regulars on the 28 bus that stops by that square. We take it past the Ave. Georges Henri, then past the Tomberg metro stop and get off at the Voot Square...lots of nice little restaurants there, then we'd cross over the Blvd. Woluwe to the park that leads you into the big Woluwe park (between the Woluwe park and Stockel, there is a two mile rails to trails path (an old railway that was changed into a walking/biking path). It's a great walk (very safe during daylight hours). From Stockel you can either take the metro back to Merode or Schumann or the 39 tram back to Montgomery.
Anyway, I'm still going to Brugge on Friday...I will be in Leuven in the morning (I don't know if you've found a vet yet, but we go Kerberos vet clinic at the edge of Leuven, about a 20 minute drive from Brussels, they are *oustanding* vets and everyone speaks fluent English. Our dog just got her teeth cleaned there yesterday), then back to Brussels and off to Brugge in the afternoon.