Search

Paris to Brugge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Brugge

I am headed to Paris early in Feb and have a week to use up before getting back to work. I am thinking of taking the train to Brussels and then Brugge for 2-3 days. Is that a good time to visit Belgium. Would you rather do Brussels or Brugge? I have never been to Belgium but I so crave those famous and yummy sea-shell chocolates
Thanks for your help
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:03 PM

HAving been to both , I'd chose Bruges.a lot to see in a small area..many smaller hotels . You could do a few hours in Brussels, hitting the high spots, then take the train on to Bruges for a day or two. I was really surprised how much we enjoyed it especially at ight after the crowds departed. In Feb, there probably won't even be that many crowds. I like to visit Belgium at any time.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:48 PM

Feb. should be a nice time to visit. Cold weather, but you have the *possibility* of some sun (no promises!). Our experience, FYI, has been that November is the worst month to travel in Belgium.
I agree with the the Brugge plan. However, you could spend a few hours in Brussels to see the highlights (the Grand'Place, the Sablon, a little shopping on the Ave. Louise) after arriving in Brussels (via Thalys) at the Gare du Midi. The Brussels Gare du Midi is one of the few big train stations in Europe that still has attended left luggage (so many of them are going the way of lockers only, and then you have to hope you can score one of the few lockers that will hold a big suitcase). It's 3 euros per piece.
You arrive in Brussels from Paris on tracks 3-6; from there it's a 2 minute walk down through the Thalys/Eurostar wing of the train station to the main train station. You will find the attended luggage on your right just before you turn to the right to the main part of the station.
Drop your luggage there and then go to the taxi stand and take a cab down to the Sablon (you can go by mass transit, but taxis in Brussels aren't that expensive...it should only cost about 5 euros to go to the Sablon).
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Enjoy some coffee at one of the many cafes on the Sablon--our favorite is Au Vieux St. Martin, where you can have the most decadent cappuccino in Europe (it comes with a big bowl of whipped cream topped with thick dark chocolate shavings and a cookie on the side). The Sablon is arguably the prettiest part of Brussels. From there, walk down to the Grand'Place (go to the bottom of the main Sablon square, turn right at the cafe with the big Leffe beer sign, then follow that main street down and around past several antique shops, the de Geest dry cleaners, etc., until you come to the rue l'Etuve [it has a traffic light]). Turn left at l'Etuve and go one block to see the Mannekin Pis--but prepare to be underwhelmed. Or skip the statue and turn right and that takes you right into the Grand'Place. After seeing the Grand'Place, you can walk up to the Gare Centrale, Bourse or de Brouckere areas to catch a cab back to the Gare du Midi, pick up your luggage and head on to Brugge. Trains run from Brussels to Brugge twice an hour. The train makes one stop (Ghent) before Brugge and the final destination for the trains are either Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge. Train fare can be as little as $12. But the trains are very crowded on week-ends (even in Feb.) so if your travel plans to Brugge are over a Friday-Sunday and your budget allows, go first class. FYI, the trains to Brugge are usually the most modern and comfortable in the Belgian train system. If you sit on the right hand side, you'll see one or two windmills, a small chateau and an interesting log home. If you sit on the left, you'll see some nice homes and pass by a place where they raise white peacocks.
Finally, those yummy sea shell chocolates are available everywhere in Belgium, even in large supermarkets. In addition to those, you should try a variety of chocolates from the boutique chocolate makers.
Have fun!
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I think with 2 or 3 (better with 3) days in Belgium you could easily do Brugge and Brussels. Train to Brussels, stop for the day to see the sights. Train to Brugge either that evening or the following morning and spend 2 days in Brugge. Whatever you do, see the Grand Place by day and by night. I love Brugge, but I think 2 days there is enough. Generally I think Belgium is highly underrated. I loved both these cities very much. And if time permits and if you're at all into art, I would suggest a stop in Ghent to see van Eyck's Adoration of the Mystic Lamb. It's marvelous.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:10 PM

February is a very good month to visit Brugge for mainly 2 reasons:
- tourism is very calm in February
- the weather can be a bit foggy, with early morning dew, rather fresh in the morning hours, which suits Brugge very well.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Hi Baldrick, We will be visiting Bruges and Brussels in Mid March. What will the crowds be like at this time? Can we expect temps to be in the 50's F.? Thanks, Laurie
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:06 PM

Laurie,
The real tourist season begins around Easter which is April 11th. In Mid March, you'll find the occasional european 'weekend hopper'.
As for the weather... 50?F should be a minimum for this period. But I sometimes think that if weatherforecasters were paid in accordance with the accuracy of their predictions,... they might encounter some hard times...
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, this is very informative. I would especially like to thanks Btilke for the very helpful tips (coffee included) since I am a seattelite
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 10:49 AM

If anyone is passing through Brussels before Christmas, the Grand'Place looks fantastic! They have done up the Stadthuis with soft red lighting and beautiful blueish sparkling lights (like the Eiffel Tower's). It looks magical. The manger scene in the Place is also nice (live sheep are interesting, the life size plastic cows and donkeys rate a hmmmm....). Most of the cafes around the Place have fireplaces and what a wonderful way to pass the time--sitting at a windowside cafe overlooking the Place while enjoying a cappuccino or Belgian beer...
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 09:58 PM

I was certain after seeing your post, BTilke, that you would add the link to the Grand Place webcam, which is on 24/7 in my house here in California:

http://www.tbx.be/camera_gp.html
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Brugge is unforgettable. I stayed at the Adornes (if you go please give my regards to the wonderful Natalie...she who can do miracles) and loved the room. Very convenient to everything, plus a delightful breakfast. For chocolate, I only regret that I did not just dump out all my clothes and fill the suitcase at the Chocolate Line. WOW!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Went to Brugge last autumn for a few days and LOVED it!
We stayed at the Hotel Bryghia (?) which was definitely nice enough and in a good location,
but on a walk I went past the
Hotel Egmond which is right by the Minnewater Park and is where I would love to stay if I am ever lucky enough to return, with my kids.
www.egmond.be/hotelsBruges.html

I only passed through Brussles, so can not compare, but do take a side trip, you will enjoy it very much I am sure.

We also had a very good dinner at a restuarant called Tom's Diner.