Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone Know Thiers. Roanne, Maçon, or La Bourboule?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm helping someone devise an itinerary that will require an overnight stop somewhere around Clermont-Ferrand, but not IN Clermont-Ferrand. Am looking for something interesting where a couple with a 12-year-old boy could pass a pleasant evening. I've narrowed it down to Thiers, Roanne, Maçon, and the spa town of La Bourbole. I can get plenty of information in books and on the net, but does anyone have any personal tales to tell of visits to these places?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM

I've passed through Thiers trying to get a defective Laguiole replaced. My impression is that it is just a knife town, with one Laguiole shop after another, which might interest a 12-year-old boy.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM

With a 12 year old boy I'd go to Bourboule because 4 miles up the road is Le Mont Dore.

In Le Mont Dore you can ride the funicular up the low mountain. It's France's oldest. Once at the top you can turn the kid loose in Les Acrobois. It's a sort of Tarzan land. It's a series of ropes, swings, bridges and stuff that winds through the trees. It looked like a blast when I saw it last April. The only reason I didn't go was my 66 year old Dad wasn't up for it.

Once you're done swinging in the trees, or while you're waiting for your kid to come back. You can sit on the terrace of the lodge and have a refreshment. As you sit you can watch the teeny-tiny people standing on top of Puy Sancy in the distance.

Their website is www.parc-robinson.com, but now it takes you to www.lesacrobois.com. I don't know if Les Acrobois bought them recently. They don't seen to mention Parc Robinson, but then my French isn't that good.

Le Mont Dore was a pleasant little town to walk around. I think it has an old spa, but I didn't do much else other than have a lunch there. The restaurant was a little place tucked in under the road on the edge of Place Charles de Gaulle. Had a nice meal and my first experience with Cantal doux cheese. What an incredible cheese, like butter, literally.

Of course you'd only do these things if your friend was there when the weather is nice.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael and Indy.

I was leaning toward recommending La Bourboule just from what I've been able to read about it, plus the pictures make it look like a gorgeous setting. I knew about the Monts Dore, but not about Les Acrobois. That sounds fabulous for a 12-year-old!

Thanks again.